Hangry in LA: I Scream for Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By: Conchita Widjojo 

The temperatures in LA have been excessively high. Near and above 100-degree weather is far from Fall-like, but the scorching heat brings about many reasons to find various treats to spoil yourself with – not that you ever need a reason to do that. No matter the season, these LA dessert sites are always worth the trip, and definitely one-of-a-kind.

Blockheads Shavery may seem like your typical shaved ice shop, but it is much more than that. Their menu boasts shaved ice flavors including a creamy original, green tea, strawberry, and even black sesame. From there you can choose various toppings such as almond jelly, mochi, brownie bites, boba, and more. It is basically like froyo, but cooler. You can top off your ice with a sweet drizzle of condensed milk, caramel, or other decadent options. Located on Mississippi Ave. in West LA, closing at 10:30pm daily.

Honeymee, which is actually walking distance from Blockheads, is also located on Sawtelle (this neighborhood has great food!), and offers an original creamy milk ice cream topped with real honeycomb. Succulent and chewy, this dessert gets better with every bite. Milkshakes and milk ice cream on sweet buns are also available, and just as scrumptious. Find this gem on Sawtelle Blvd, closing at midnight daily.

Do not let the exterior of Scoops Westside fool you; the ice cream flavors make up for its unsuspecting appearance. This store manages to come up with a different variety of new, different flavors to choose from every day. If you have ever wanted to try olive oil rosemary or salty vanilla butterfinger, this place is for you. Always be on the lookout on their Twitter or Facebook pages, where flavor updates are posted daily. Catch this groovy ice cream shop on Overland Avenue, closing at 10pm every day.

Afters Ice Cream is technically outside of Los Angeles, but is much too pleasing for your appetite to pass up. Have you ever wondered what a hot donut bun stuffed with a cool ice cream flavor would taste like? Well, now you can know. Try flavors like the cookie monster, which is essentially blue Oreo ice cream, or cereal milk – and so many more. Then sprinkle some yummy goodies of your choice on top, and bite into heaven. Drive down to Fountain Valley if you are ever in the mood. Afters closes at midnight daily.

Salt & Straw always has a long line of people – it’s that good. Located on Larchmont Blvd, one of the quainter streets of Los Angeles, this ice cream shop deserves some merit. The sea salt with caramel ribbons is definitely worth trying. As if this place could top itself, they also offer an amazing variety of coffee. Closes at 11pm daily.

Get on that sugar rush! 

[Cover Photo]