Going Back To School After Studying Abroad: 5 Emotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

After a week of being back on the bluff after a semester abroad I can say without a doubt that distance does make the heart grow fonder. However, I can also say that readjusting back to life at my home university is no walk in the park either, but I know that with my supportive group of friends I’ll be able to make it through another semesters. Here’s a list of the feelings I had ( and you might have ) as I started to adapt back to college life in the US:

1. Excited

When I returned to my campus the weekend before school started I was so ecstatic to see all of my close friends again. We ate pretty much every meal together that weekend ,so that we could catch up and share all of our crazy experiences that happened in the fall. I was so happy to reconnect with my friends that I almost thought I would not have any problems adjusting. Then Monday came…

2. Overwhelmed

It was Monday. All my friends were in class ,so I had to go eat by myself. As crazy as it may sound I felt so nervous doing this. I was searching through hundreds of unfamiliar faces to find one friend. Even though this was my home university I didn’t feel like I belonged here anymore. I got my food and nearly ran back to my dorm to eat by myself in my room

3. Sad

There were some moments of sadness whenever I walked around campus. I would see people that looked like a friend I made while studying abroad and almost call out their name ,but I realized that it would be impossible for my friend to be here. All of the friends I made were all over the world now and I was the only one here.

4. Tired

I have never felt so tired in my entire life. There was a couple days of the week where I went to bed at 10 P.M. which is a completely ridiculous time to go to sleep in college. There was so much energy taken away from me because of work, friends, class, my sorority and looking for another job; I’m surprised I did not go to bed at 8  P.M.

5. Reassured​After a long week of school there is no better way to relax and unwind than ot go to a house filled with hot and sweaty people all there to celebrate the birth of a friend. It was at that time when I saw the rest of my friends that I did not see during the week that I felt completely reassured. I reminded myself that I had so many people that love me and are willing to support me no matter what ,and that was the most important thing. After that I felt ready to tackle anything this semester threw at me ,and use the lessons that I learned abroad to help me power through another semester.

Loyola Marymount University'19