Get Them Before They are Gone!! Salt and Straw January Flavors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Happy Vegan New Year!

To celebrate the New Year and maybe help some people keep their New Year’s Resolutions for at least the first month of 2018, all of Salt and Straws January flavors are vegan.

I definitely missed salt and Straw over break (until I realized there is now a San Francisco location so I can pretty much go year round), so Allie and I decided to hit up our favorite Venice ice cream shop and try their January flavors. These flavors only last a month so be sure to get them before they go!

The limited edition flavors include:

Happy Birthday Elvis:

Possibly my favorite out of the group features a banana coconut base with both peanut butter fudge and jam swirled throughout. The King would be proud.

Mint Chip Whoopie Pie:

Mint chip is one of my all time favorite flavors so I had high hopes for this one. I liked it but it wasn’t anything extraordinary. This flavor has a coconut base, but the coconut flavor was not very strong, because mint is mostly what you taste. The one thing I didn’t like was the whoopie pie pieces that were sprinkled throughout, I like the creativity but I missed the chips. Now that I think about it, this would pair really nicely with the chocolate hazelnut if you wanted to do a split scoop.

Candied Mango Faux-yo:

This one is actually revolutionary. They made froyo texture without dairy (!!!) by using coconut cream. If you are a disney fan this may be even better than dole whip. Yes, that’s how good it was. Its creamy but light at the same time because of the fruity flavor and candied mango pieces.

Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge:

Or as I would call it ‘Nutella with brownie chunks’ is a super rich chocolate hazelnut based ice cream. The hazelnut came through really strong for me, so if you’re into that definitely give this one a try. I would probably do a split scoop of this and a lighter flavor because it is pretty rich.

Donut Friend’s MC5 Spice:

To be honest this one didn’t really stand out to me at all and I kind of forget what it tasted like. It is a coconut base like the others with spices and donut crumble mixed in. Overall it tasted like coffee cake but was pretty mild.

Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.