This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

by Meghan Rieger

Santa Barbara

Just about a two hour drive from Los Angeles, this seaside city is the perfect getaway. Santa Barbara is a great place to take a group of friends whether you want to shop, eat, hike or all the above. Santa Barbara also has great beaches to lay out and get your tan on. I highly recommend state street and the Paseo Nuevo shops for shopping. Although I’ve never taken the Lizard’s mouth trail, I’ve heard the views are beautiful and the best time to go is around sunset.

State Street and Paseo Nuevo Shops and Restaurants    

Lizard’s Mouth Hiking Trail

(Photo Creds: Instagram @drastik805)

Malibu

So close yet so underrated. Malibu is just a quick trip up Pacific Coast Highway and the perfect way to spend a Saturday or Sunday after a long week of classes. There are tons of hiking trails, beaches with great views of the ocean (plus hot surfers), and amazing seaside restaurants. Sandstone Peak is one of my favorite hiking trails; the view at the top is absolutely incredible and I would highly recommend the short trek!

Sandstone Peak Hiking Trail   

Malibu Farms Restaurant    

Leo Carrillo State Beach                                                                             

San Diego

Though this trek is a little longer, San Diego has a lot to offer and is definitely worth the trip. San Diego is a big city with a variety of fun things to pack your day with. The Prado is a beautiful place with lots of “instagrammable” spots and museums. The Prado Restaurant is a great place for dinner if you decide to spend the day here. Seaport Village is right on the harbor with lots of little shops and incredible restaurants with great views. The perfect destination for your girl group! If you have time, definitely try to take the bridge over to Coronado Island. This is a must see spot and a great way to watch the sunset after a packed day.

The Prado  

Seaport Village  

Newport Beach

Just about an hour away, Newport Beach is a beach filled, beautiful town that guarantees a sun filled day. If you have the chance make your way down to the harbor and watch the boats and see the amazing homes right on the water. Or even better, rent a boat and get a closer look! My friends and I rented a duffy boat and had a relaxing brunch on the water while soaking up the sun and enjoying the kayaks and paddle boarders around us. After a morning on the water, Fashion Island is the ultimate shopping center for those of us who love to shop. And for those of us who love to be outside, the Palos Verdes hiking trails are great for short hikes with great views of the bluffs of Newport Beach.

Duffy Boats  

Palos Verdes Hiking Trails  

Her Campus LMU