This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like nowadays sustainability is all the rage. With brands like Reformation and Everlane dominating the market, consumers are becoming more aware of the environmental impact that they create.

Over the summer I became interested in living more sustainably and reducing single-use plastics in my everyday life. This began with mostly food as I cut out plastic grocery and produce bags, water bottles and Starbucks cups, and kitchen supplies such as plastic wrap and ziplock bags. As I became more aware of all of the plastic waste I was using, I turned towards my makeup and skincare collections and was mortified by how wasteful it all was. There is almost no way to completely cut waste from a beauty routine, especially with makeup, here are a few ways to reduce waste and still have a bomb looking face!

1. Ditch Single-Use Makeup Wipes

Although it might not be a product that we typically think of when cutting waste from our routine, if you think about it makeup wipes are the epitome of a wasteful single-use product to cut out of your routine. Nowadays there are many alternatives to choose from that are relatively inexpensive. For an experience that’s similar to a typical makeup wipe, the Makeup Eraser is a great option that is easy to use and clean, does a great job of removing makeup, and is only $20! That may seem like a hefty price tag but the product could last for years. For a cleansing process without a wipe, the Farmacy Green Clean cleansing balm is an awesome Allure Beauty winning option that melts makeup away almost instantly. I’ve been using this product for about six months and I absolutely love how it performs. Though it’s a little expensive at $34, the product lasts a long time and only takes a small amount to work. 

2. Opt for Reusable Cotton Rounds

I’m sure that a lot of us use toner and apply it with single-use cotton rounds that we toss out after one application. I was perplexed by how to replace these for a while, but found some Reusable Bamboo ‘Cotton’ Pads on Amazon for only $13! The set comes with 16 wipes and are easy to clean. Just pop the pads in the little laundry bag that comes with the set and toss it in the washing machine with your regular clothes! In addition, the pads being made from bamboo instead of cotton is much more sustainable because bamboo requires much less water than cotton and is an almost overabundant plant.

3. Use Skincare in Glass Bottles

This might seem a little bit obvious, and I bet some of your skincare products you have already come in glass! Many serums and oils come in glass dropper bottles that are recyclable and can more easily be reused. Serums don’t always have to have a hefty price tag. One of my favorite skincare brands is The Ordinary which has amazing products that are all under $10. This summer I also found a cleanser that comes in a glass bottle from Youth to the People that’s also an Allure Beauty winner. It is a bit expensive at $36 but I’ve had it for about two months and have used maybe ⅕ of the bottle. All in all, there are many glass alternatives for your favorite skincare products that are accessible. 

4. Buy Makeup in Refillable Compacts

Although they can be hard to find, some brands offer powder products that come in refillable compacts. Colourpop is one of the best examples of this, as all of their powder bronzers, blushes, highlights, and other face products are sold in individual pans for $7-9 dollars, and a separate compact can be purchased for $2. This is awesome for sustainable gals because instead of buying a whole new plastic compact, you can recycle the metal pan your old powder was in and just get a replacement! 

5. Use Lush products in their repurposed containers!

One of the most beloved eco-friendly brands on the market is Lush Cosmetics. Sure everybody knows about their bath bombs, but they carry amazing skincare products that do come in plastic, but you can bring any empty and clean packaging to a Lush store that they will repurpose! In addition, if you bring 5 empty containers to any Lush store, they’ll give you a free face mask. I really love their brand and everything that they do to keep waste down.

Lush also has really great packaging-free products such as face wash bars all under $15, and shampoo bars that work wonders. All in all, Lush is a great place to shop if you’re environmentally conscious!

So there you have it! Just a few eco-friendly counterparts for your favorite beauty products! Although the beauty industry is inherently wasteful, brands are becoming more conscious of the consumer demands for sustainability. Maybe change is on the rise! What you choose to buy tells corporations what consumers want, and if we all shop a little more sustainably maybe the practices of the industry can change. Don’t underestimate the power you have as a consumer, and shop ethically when possible! 

Now go out and do your routines and look amazing like you always do!

Hey there! I'm Sophia Villamor, I'm an English major here at LMU, and am originally from the Bay Area. I love all things Disney, makeup, and fashion related.