First Week of School through a Freshman’s Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Leaving my home in Florida to move 2,500 miles away was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I was sad to leave my family and friends and even more upset about saying goodbye to mythree dogs as they sat by the door wagging their tails and not knowing I wouldn’t be right back.College seemed scary, until I got here. The first week of school was one of the best weeks I can remember. Being on a campus where everyone is from somewhere else and has a different story is beyond fascinating. I feared I was going to feel alone at college, but when I got here, that feeling vanished. Everyone is in the same situation. Everyone is moving away from home and their families. Everyone is eager to make new friends and explore Los Angeles. We really aren’t treated like freshmen. We are just college students now. Having this newfound freedom is so satisfying. I finally feel like an adult.

For the first couple days, college seemed a lot like sleep-away camp. The RA’s reminded me of counselors, the communal bathrooms reminded me of the cabin bathrooms, and the food even tasted similar. Now that I’ve been here for longer, I’m more settled in. I even called my dorm “home” the other day. Living in the dorm freshman year was very important to me. I have made so many friends on my floor and in my building. It’s so nice leaving my room in the morning and having a big group of friends to meet for breakfast.

So far, I have been insanely busy. I think that’s a good thing though because then I don’t even have time to be homesick. Everyone here has made me feel so welcome. I love the size of LMU. It’s small enough to constantly see people you know, but large enough to meet new people all the time. Although my course workload has been somewhat stressful, the professors seem really friendly and eager to help. And the extra curricular opportunities are exciting. I joined the ski and snowboard club, I’m volunteering for the local Guide Dogs for the Blind group, and I’m hoping to rush in the spring. I have a lot of exciting things ahead of me, and I can’t wait. I still miss my dogs, but I know they will be just as happy to see me when I go home for Thanksgiving.