This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

On February 3rd, the 2021 Golden Globe nominees were announced. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the announcement was made virtually; the first time ever that it did not occur in person. However, that was not the only historical moment of the nomination process this year…three women were nominated for Best Director!

Emerald Fennell, writer and director of Promising Young Woman, Regina King, director of One Night In Miami, and Chloé Zhao, writer and director of Nomadland were all nominated for the prestigious Best Director award. This is the first time that more than one woman has been nominated for the Best Director of a Motion Picture Golden Globe in the same year. Only five women have ever been nominated for this particular Golden Globe Award: Kathryn Bigelow, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola Ava DuVernay, and Barbra Streisand – with Streisand being the only woman who has won. Additionally, Zhao is the first Asian woman and King is the second Black woman to be nominated for the award.

movie board
Pixabay License
Zhao and Fennell’s films were also nominated for Best Motion Picture; Drama and Best Original Screenplay. The stars of both films – Carey Mulligan as Cassandra Thomas in Promising Young Woman and Frances McDormand as Fern in Nomadland – picked up nominations for Best Actress, totaling four nominations for each film. King’s One Night In Miami was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Leslie Odom Jr. as Sam Cooke, and Best Original Song for “Speak Now” by Leslie Odom Jr. and Sam Ashworth, for a total of three nominations.

Tune in to the 78th annual Golden Globe Awards on February 28th from 5 pm to 8 pm on NBC and cheer on these female directors who’ve truly made history in the film industry.

Marisa is a film production and international relations double major and philosophy minor. She loves iced coffee, watching movies, and of course her HerCampus family!
Rylie Walsh is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University, where she earned her degree in Communication Studies and English! She was President of Her Campus LMU for the 2021-22 school year and is also a Her Campus National Writer. When she's not reading, writing, or working, you can find her hanging out with friends, SoulCycling, or enjoying her all time favorite dessert: a Pressed freeze.