This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

In the United States, March is Women’s History Month. In honor of this, I want to highlight some female authors that have helped shape the literary landscape but have also helped shape me as a person.

Toni Morrison 

Her words are inspirational. Every book of hers I read I feel like I learn something completely new. I will never forget the first time I read Morrison; it changed me forever. 

Sylvia Plath 

This woman really knows how to capture sadness in her poetry. She’s so raw and vulnerable, and she isn’t afraid to express her inner self. 

Mary Oliver 

This LGBTQ+ author is so talented. Whenever I need a friend, I lean on her poetry.  

Maya Angelou 

Not only is this woman a fantastic writer, but she is also a true inspiration. Her words and her legacy will live with the world, and with me, forever. 

Angie Thomas 

Angie Thomas is so talented with her YA storytelling. Every book I pick up from her is phenomenal.  

Margaret Atwood 

Besides writing The Handmaid’s Tale, she has written other great novels and beautiful poetry. 

VE Schwab

This woman is the definition of badass. She is constantly writing, constantly creating, and everything she puts out is gold. 

Nic Stone

She is a ray of sunshine. She is both funny and making change through her writing. While reading her books I am always learning something as well as enjoying myself and having a great time. 

Agatha Christie 

She is a big inspiration for me. She is the reason I got into mystery and thriller media (which is my personal favorite). I feel like my own reading tastes wouldn’t be the same without her. 

Donna Tartt 

She did not create the dark academia aesthetic, but she is a huge reason as to why it is so popular now. She’s a fantastic writer and a totally awesome lady. 

Female authors have helped me become the strong woman I am today. I hope that other women can find their own voice through these amazing ladies, or ladies just like them.   

LMU Class of '24 Political Science Major
Her Campus LMU