This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It’s September; school is back in full swing, we are beginning to get settled into our new “dorm sweet dorms,” and there is no better time of the year to get some dorm décor inspiration! In college, it is especially important to have a soothing, calm refuge to come home to after a long day. Additionally, decorating your dorm with items that reflect your personality can inspire and motivate you each day. You may have already strung your tea lights to lend a soothing glow and hung bulletin boards filled with pictures of friends and family, but if your dorm is still missing that final touch, here are some fun, cheap and easy ideas to take it from drab and bare to full of flair!

Tassels – This cute string of tassels feels celebratory, yet is trendy enough that you forget that it is just brightly colored paper. Hang it above framed pictures or your floor length mirror for the finishing touch on a blank wall.

Banner – If tassels aren’t your cup of tea, maybe the more traditional bunting flag banner will suit you better. Select any combination of colors and patterns to tie in with your bedding and color scheme.

Sorority Letters – Feeling crafty? Purchase cheap wooden or cardboard letters from the nearest craft store and paint, glitter, bedazzle, and fake-flower your heart out.

DIY canvases – You don’t need to be an artist to buy some small canvases and create a simple, fun design in bright colors. Even a small, simple piece of artwork can be the pop of color that a wall needs. Include your favorite quote or Bible verse for a bit of inspiration each day, or paint the state you are from to remind you that home will always be there when you need it. 

Prints & Photographs – Not feeling down with the DIYs? Not to worry! There is a plethora of awesome prints and photographs that you can use to jazz up your room and give you a boost of inspiration, without having to break out your paintbrush. Check out Arts District Printing Co. for some very affordable prints of gorgeous landscapes with inspiring messages, or keep it simple with this cool circular wall decal from Urban Outfitters!

Tapestries – Like tassels, tapestries are the new trend – and we can see why. These tapestries take up a whole wall and have the ability to make you feel like you’re in the forest or at the beach. When you are cramming for a big exam, wishing you could be anywhere else, a glance at the beautiful scenery can help you indulge in that fantasy – not to mention all the fun photo ops that can be had in front of it! #instagramworthy (!)

Mason jars – Because, honestly, who doesn’t love mason jars these days? Jazz up some jars with a fresh coat of paint and glitter, and voil –  a perfect pencil or make-up brush holder, flower vase, or bathroom organizer.

Headboards – Feeling ambitious? Take your dorm bed to a whole new level with a customized headboard. Simply cut out cardboard in the shape that you want your headboard to be, and cover with your favorite fabric design. Get it monogrammed with your initials, and pretty soon you’ll be feeling like royalty climbing into your very own princess bed! *Cue British accent* “Why, excuse me, fair maidens, but I am just feeling so fatigued! I think it is time to retire to my royal bed chambers with my special monogrammed headboard for some beauty sleep!”

Canopy or curtains – Still feeling like your dorm needs that extravagant finish? Consider some pretty, girly curtains for your window or a romantic canopy to frame your bed. Just imagine rainy days with your soft, flowy canopy and the glow of your tea lights and a big cup of tea. Suddenly, studying doesn’t seem so bad!

Check out Etsy, Urban Outfitters, Pinterest, and Arts District Printing Co. to purchase these items, browse for others like them, and get your own décor inspiration to make your dorm truly feel like an oasis. You never know – pretty soon, you may start to like your dorm room more than your room at home!

Her Campus LMU