A Documentation of My Trip to Alaska

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Last summer, my family and I embarked on a weeklong journey to Alaska, and it was by far one of the coolest places I have ever traveled to thus far in my short nineteen years of life. We visited landmark cities including Anchorage, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan, and each city had its own unique flare with something new and exciting to offer.

I think that Alaska is a really amazing place to visit, but even if you don’t ever visit this breathtaking state, there are so many other places to visit not only within the comfort of our own country, but also within the entire world. Traveling is so important and valuable because it not only gives you a taste of other cultures and ways of life, but it also gives you the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and see really beautiful places.

So now, here’s a little documentation of my adventure to inspire you to go on an adventure of your own, whether it be to Alaska or anywhere else!

Anchorage, AK

We started our Alaskan adventure in the cute city of Anchorage, milling around inside of little boutiques and family-owned shops.

Sitka, AK

The next city we visited was Sitka, the city featured in the romantic comedy The Proposal, starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds (definitely recommend). While visiting Sitka, we watched Russian dancers and visited a bird sanctuary to get a taste of the culture of the city. As the fog enveloped the tall evergreen trees around us, I found myself falling in love with this eclectic city and wishing we could stay longer.

Juneau, AK

Juneau, the capital of Alaska, was probably my favorite city out of all of the cities we visited on our trip. My family and I went on a helicopter ride and landed on an icy glacier to go dog sledding with huskies! It was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had.

Look at the puppers!

Skagway, AK

While in Skagway, my family and I strolled around the picturesque, old-fashioned city. Skagway is infamous for being a huge site of the gold rush era, and this gold rush greatly contributed to the building and expansion of Alaska and what it looks like today. We stopped at a local coffee shop (as pictured below) to warm up from the brisk Alaskan chill.

Ketchikan, AK

In the colorful city of Ketchikan, my family and I went on a hike. There are many beautiful hiking locations scattered around the state of Alaska, full of tranquil waterfalls and vibrant greenery. It was really nice to just get out in nature, especially in an age where we are constantly cooped up inside and attached to our various daily tasks and technologies, and appreciate how beautiful the world around us really is.

Note: All photos were taken by me! Check out my VSCO @zoehecht if you’d like to see more!

Zoë is a writer and recent graduate from Loyola Marymount University, where she received her Bachelor of Arts in English. Formerly, she was an associate editor at Her Campus, where she covered Gen Z pop culture, beauty and style trends, and everything in between. When she's not writing or editing, Zoë can be found reading, sipping coffee, and exploring new places in California.