DIY: Fringed Crop Top Cutout Concert Tee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Can’t be bothered to hit up the nearest H&M to spend $69.99 on a cute crop top? Ready to pack your bags to Coachella to channel your inner hippie rock ‘n roll goddess? Do not fret: the cropped cutout fringe concert tee is neither basic nor try-hard. The fringed trim harks back to the old school bohemian charm of Woodstock, while cutouts takes us back to 2009, the year when dresses always showed hints of skin. In this case, I am using an old 2000s Donnas shirt that I thrifted at Palm Desert two Thanksgivings ago. (ICYMI, The Donnas were a female-fronted rock band whose music appeared on every single teen film from Jawbreaker to Mean Girls. They’re pretty dope!) Given that vintage concert shirts are one of a kind, you do not need to have the exact shirt that I’ll be using. Considering that the majority of them are usually in a size L, it’ll be easy to attain that boxy silhouette for our project. Are you ready, readers?

WHAT YOU’LL NEED:

1 Dressmaking Scissors

1 Tube of E6000

1 Tailor Chalk

1 yard of Italian Faux Suede Fringe Trim

1 Concert Shirt

STEPS:

1. Mark the shirt at your natural waist and cut!

2. Turn the shirt back and mark it halfway.

3. Draw the line down and cut!

4. Fold the shirt in half again and draw straight parallel lines from bottom to top. Make sure each strip is two inches thick!

5. Cut the lines.

6. Lay the shirt flat and take out the fringe. Mark the ends of the fringe and the bottom strip.

7. Cut the marked parts and glue the shirt in place. When you glue the fringe, press on top of the surface to make it lay flat and stick to the shirt.

8. Let the glue dry.

9. Tie up the strips to form a knot on each row until you reach the neckline.

10. Cut off the neckline. In case you still see some imperfections like asymmetry, fold the shirt in half and cut around the new neckline.

{Step 6}

{Step 9}

{Finished Product}

Born in Indonesia and raised in Singapore, I am to enlighten the world one step at a time. With an endless ambition to expand and enrich the lives of young minds, I aim to achieve this by sharing my passions for fashion, music and pop culture. Follow me on Instagram @michyvari and @Miss_E_Phresh on Twitter!