jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Cute Fall Outfit Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Although Los Angeles is not known for its colorful leaves or pumpkin patches, fall is nevertheless my favorite season. I love the coziness of it, the apple picking and pumpkin carving, and, most of all, I absolutely love the fashion

Whether you are running late to class or are going out for weekend brunch, try out any of these outfit ideas to look super cute for fall!

Corduroy

Corduroy has been making a comeback these past couple of years, and I am all here for it! Corduroy jackets, corduroy skirts, corduroy pants… but my personal favorite lately has been corduroy overall dresses! I own a black corduroy overall dress and I love wearing a chunky sweater underneath it, like pictured above! Or, if you want a more form-fitting silhouette, wear a fitted long sleeve shirt underneath. A lot of brands sell corduroy overall dresses, but I found this one from ASOS that is really cute! 

In terms of other corduroy pieces, I love this corduroy jacket from Urban Outfitters.

Teddy coats

I love teddy coats because they are super cute and cozy!

Teddy coats can also literally be thrown on over anything: dresses, sweaters, long sleeve tops. I love the classic brown one like pictured above, but I have also seen ones in other colors, like this super cute blush pink one from Urban Outfitters! ASOS also has some adorable teddy coats, including this one in white, and so does Nordstrom Rack, with this one coming in several colors like dark green and rust (aka, the perfect fall colors!).

Plaid blazers

Not only are plaid blazers super chic, but they can also be dressed down or dressed up, making them a really versatile piece to add to your wardrobe! I love how the one above is styled with a pair of light wash jeans to dress it down.

Although some plaid blazers can be a little expensive, not all of them have to break the bank! This one from Urban Outfitters comes in several different colors and is a reasonable price! I have also seen plenty of these at super affordable prices at some of my local thrift stores and boutiques, so make sure to take a look around in your own town!

Sweaters

Fall is sweater weather, so it would be hard to write an article about fall fashion without mentioning sweaters!

I love sweaters because they keep you warm, but also look super cute! You can wear a sweater over a pair of dark skinny jeans or leggings, tuck it into a pair of high-waisted denim, or wear it oversized as a sweater dress. 

A trick with sweaters to keep you extra toasty and to spice the look up a bit is to layer, layer, layer! If it is especially cold where you are, wear a long sleeve shirt or even a tank top underneath your sweater, and no one will notice! Or, if you are wearing a sweater that is extra loose and even slides off your shoulders a bit, wear a lace bralette to add a little detail!

The sweaters above are from an adorable online shop called Love Street! I discovered this clothing brand on Instagram and I absolutely love their simple-yet-chic pieces. Click here to check out their sweaters! 

Mules

Although mules can be worn during other seasons too, I love how they look with fall outfits.

I love how mules look with a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized sweater! I think a pair of these could also look really cute with a plaid blazer like I mentioned before! The ones above are from Madewell.

Fleece pullovers

For those days when you pressed snooze on your alarm six times before realizing that you’re going to be late to class, opt for a cute fleece pullover!

Patagonia is obviously known for its fleece pullovers (snag one here), but so many other brands carry these, too! Throw on one of these over a pair of leggings or dark skinny jeans and you’re good to go!

Statement denim

Blue jeans are an undeniable classic, but why not kick ‘em up a notch?

I recently bought a pair of patchy denim similar to the ones pictured above. Although they were originally a bit more out of my comfort zone, I am so glad I got them! I love pairing them with a simple white or neutral tee, so then the pants really pop! 

Some statement jeans I think are really cute are these two-tone ones from Pacsun and these patchy ones from 7 For All Mankind.

However, if you want something more subtle, try embroidered denim or denim with other little detailing! For instance, this vintage-inspired pair from Madewell has a little heart patch on one of its pockets.

Cardigans

Neutral-colored cardigans are an absolute staple for fall because they keep you warm and are super easy to throw over any outfit to either dress it up or down. 

However, one trend I have noticed with cardigans this season is cropped cardigans that are worn more like a shirt! The one pictured above is from American Eagle. I love the rust color of it because it screams fall and also looks good on so many different skin types! Throw this on over a cute bralette and pair it with a high-waisted pair of jeans and you are good to go! I also think accessorizing with longer necklaces can give this outfit more flair.

Plaid miniskirts

Plaid miniskirts are super cute for those warmer fall days (and for those cooler days, try pairing them with a pair of black tights!).

Plaid miniskirts can also go with a lot of different tops because of the different colors they have in their pattern. For instance, in the one above, either a black top like the model is wearing or even a white sweater both would look really flattering. Also, try playing around with different silhouettes: for example, you could wear a more form-fitting top for a crisper look, or a sweater tucked loosely into the skirt for a more effortless look.

I love these miniskirts from Urban Outfitters (Urban, please sponsor me) and these ones from Lulus—but so many other stores sell them, too!

Boots

Shoes can really make or break any outfit, and for fall, I personally love the look of boots for most outfits!

The boots in the picture above are vegan Dr. Martens! I love how chunky they are and how the accessorizing of the socks make the look a bit more feminine and cozy. I own patent leather Dr. Martens and I love the shiny and glossy look of them because I think it makes them a little more unique! In terms of styling, I love how Dr. Martens look with a dress or skirt because the femininity of the dress or skirt is a super cool contrast with the edginess of the Dr. Martens.

However, if Dr. Martens are a bit too grunge for you, there are so many other cute boot options! I love these booties from Madden Girl in the color black.  

If you aren’t looking for black chunky boots, I also really like these Timberland-looking knock-offs from Luca and Grae! Another boot look I have been loving is white boots! Snag a pair here from Steve Madden or here from Urban Outfitters!

Thank you so much for reading my article, and I hope you have an amazing fall filled with cute outfits, warmth, and pumpkin spice lattes (but only if that’s your thing)!

Note: I found most of my photos and inspiration from Pinterest, so follow me if you would like to see more!

Zoë is a writer and recent graduate from Loyola Marymount University, where she received her Bachelor of Arts in English. Formerly, she was an associate editor at Her Campus, where she covered Gen Z pop culture, beauty and style trends, and everything in between. When she's not writing or editing, Zoë can be found reading, sipping coffee, and exploring new places in California.