Curated Guide to Shopping LA Based Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Both Nasty Gal and American Apparel, two brands based in Los Angeles, have recently declared bankruptcy and been acquired by those whose headquarters cannot be reached by hopping on the 405. Nasty Gal was acquired by the British retailer for $20 million earlier this month, and American Apparel’s intellectual property was bought by the Canadian brand Gildan Activewear for $88 million last fall. Shopping locally will not only support smaller, independently run businesses, but can also be more eco-friendly. Before you place your next online order from that one boutique all the way in Australia, consider saving the greenhouse gas emissions and look a little closer. These seven brands are just a few that are creating ethically conscious and on-trend products for all of your skin care, home fragrance, clothing, shoe, and swimwear needs.

Anese Co.

This cruelty free skincare brand started as a personal fix for its creator, Lynnsee van Gordon, and quickly grew yo be a sensation featured by the likes of NYLON, Refinery29, and Galore. Their products and humorous packaging are sure to put a smile on your face!!

Boy Smells

Established in 2014 by David Kien and Matthew Herman, this home fragrance collection is both comforting and trendy. The candles are made from hand poured beeswax and coconut oil and feature unexpected scents, such as “Kush,” “Gardener,” and “Coin.”

Marais USA

Haley Boyd describes her brand’s aesthetic as “Patti Smith meets Jane Birkin,” drawing inspiration from both New York and Paris. Intending to create an accessible shoe option for the modern woman, this paradoxical image of casual elegance has drawn the attention of instagram based bloggers like Courtney Halverson (@prettylittlefawn), Reese Blutstein (@double3xposure), and Courtney Trop (@alwaysjudging).

Reformation

Created in 2009 by Yael Aflalo, this sustainable brand is challenging the traditionally toxic relationship between fashion and the environment. Their pieces have been worn by the likes of Taylor Swift, Emma Roberts, and Vanessa Hudgens.

Vitamin A Swim

Founded in 2000, this swimwear label utilizes waterless digital printing technology and sustainable fibers in their fabrics. Their high quality, flattering, and comfortable swimsuits have even received the Goop seal of approval.

LACAUSA

Beauty and simplicity come together in the vision of this brand that not only looks good, but does good. La Causa translates to “The Cause” in Spanish, and they partner with several organizations and charities to make their mark. Right now, they are donating 10% of online sales to ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union).

Stone Cold Fox

This lifestyle brand was created by two childhood friends, Cydney Morris and Dallas Wand. Their travels to Bali, Australia, and Mexico have influenced the brand’s designs greatly. Each piece is crafted from self-designed textiles and turns vintage style into a timeless treasure.

I am a Senior English Major, Dance Minor. If I'm not scribbling into my journal or reading three books at a time, I am most likely in the drive thru line at In N Out, walking on the beach, or daydreaming about that one time I lived in Italy. All I want out of life is a perfectly curated collection of turtlenecks, a rescued poodle, and more than one Taco Tuesday in a week.
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.