Creepy Clowns: Why?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

What a year 2016 has been. Not only have we had to worry about who will be leading our country for the next four years (SOS), but we are also apparently living in a real life horror movie. 

Killer clowns is now a thing. 

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past couple of months, everyone is pretty much aware that clowns have been taking over the world. Yes, the world. According to an article in The Guardian, the first clown sighting began in North Carolina where a little boy spotted two clowns in the woods. His mother reported that “they were trying to lure him to the house” that was located in the woods. 

Okay, because that’s not creepy at all…

The sightings have stretched as far as the United Kingdom where similar occurrences were reported. One of the most dramatic cases was on Friday, October 7, a masked clown followed a group of 11 and 12-year-old students to school. The clown was carrying a knife and then suddenly jumped out at them, leaving the children frightened and distraught but unharmed. 

I was scrolling on Facebook the other day and came across a video where two friends were jogging on a hiking trail. They came across a bridge where they saw a clown staring at them. Then all of a sudden, the clown broke out into a full sprint and started chasing them back down the trail. 

I don’t know about you guys, but if a clown started chasing me I would probably stop, drop, and die of fright. Just saying. 

The trend seems to be that clowns are carrying some form of weapons but not physically harming anyone. However, cops are taking extra precaution by arresting any clowns that they see or any clowns that are reported to minimize crowd hysteria. Naturally, when people see clowns running around acting suspiciously, they are going to want to defend themselves. As a result, law enforcement fears that violence will break out amongst the community. 

Most of the videos I’ve seen and stories I’ve read describe the clown’s behavior in such a way where they appear to be purposefully sitting and waiting for people to cross their path just so they can scare them. My theory is that the clowns are harmless. It’s just a bunch of idiots who have put on an elaborate Halloween prank where other idiots think it’s funny to join in. 

My question to those people dressing up as clowns and sitting on the side of a highway… are you really that bored? Do you really have nothing better to do? Please go get a hobby and do something productive with your life. 

Sincerely, 

Everyone in the world

A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.