Concert Review: Palaye Royale at The Wiltern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

On October 1, Canadian art-rock band Palaye Royale returned to the stage at The Wiltern with their biggest headliner show to date. The band of three brothers, lead singer Remington Leith, guitarist Sebastian Danzig, and drummer Emerson Barrett, along with touring musicians, Andrew Berkeley Martin and Jennie Vee, put on an electrifying performance after a long pandemic-induced break from the stage. 

After hours of waiting in line outside the venue, fans flooded into the sold-out Wiltern and filled the room with an excited buzz. Openers Mothica and DE’WAYNE put on energetic performances that got the crowd ready for Palaye Royale. 

Bouquets of roses lined the edge of the stage, the curtains opened. The band started their set with the fan-favorite Nightmares, and the room started to shake. Leith could be seen standing on top of the crowd or hanging from the lights of the mezzanine throughout their set. Their adoring and loyal fans sang along to every word and fought over every rose that the band threw into the crowd. 

Opener DE’WAYNE joined the band on stage for a cover of The Stooges’ I Wanna Be Your Dog, and the band also played their 2020 single, Lonely, live for the first time. Before playing No Love in LA, Leith commented that it felt “super inappropriate” to play the song considering how much love was filling the LA concert venue that night. 

With Leith’s undeniable command of the stage, Barrett’s anthemic drum beats, and Danzig’s striking guitar riffs, the night was truly an unforgettable experience. Palaye Royale closed their set with Mr. Doctor Man and fans left the venue with roses in their hands and confetti in their hair. Palaye Royale are experts at putting on memorable and enchanting live performances and are easily one of the best live bands of their generation. 

Cameron Tobias is a senior English major at Loyola Marymount University.