Comforting Movies You Can Stream on Netflix to Escape Reality This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

This week, I’ve been filled with a crazy amount of anxiety about the presidential election. If you, like myself, have been feeling overwhelmed and drained lately and are in need of an escape, here are a few movies you can stream to take your mind off of things for a while.

Netflix

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

If the stress of the modern technological age is bumming you out, find escape in Jane Austen’s Victorian romance. The cottagecore vibes in this movie are on point, and the romance between Lizzie and Mr. Darcy is iconic for a reason. 

Back to the Future (1985)

A classic, this movie is the perfect mix of comedy and sci-fi with some outstanding performances. Plus, it features two of my favorite eras in fashion, the 80s and 50s.

The Muppets (2011)

An absolute gem starring Amy Adams and Jason Segel, this movie’s legacy is undeniable. I mean, “Man or Muppet” is arguably the best song ever written. This movie has it all: songs, comedy, romance, and some of the most adorable and lovable characters of all time.

Princess and the Frog (2010)

Another one of my all-time favorites, this movie has some of the best music of any Disney princess film, and the animation is stunning. It’s definitely one of my go-to comfort movies. 

After (2019)

Okay, listen, I hate this movie as much as the next person, but it is undeniably fun to mock while watching. Based on a viral Harry Styles fanfiction, After is easily one of the worst and most dumb movies ever made. Even if you aren’t a fan of One Direction, you will definitely be entertained by the terrible acting in this movie.

Easy A (2010)

An absolutely iconic teen movie starring Emma Stone, Penn Badgely, and Amanda Bynes, this movie is hilarious and has a clever concept. If you had to read ‘The Scarlet Letter’ in high school and hated it as much as I did, you’ll definitely get a kick out of this film.

Radio Rebel (2012)

After going viral on TikTok, Radio Rebel is definitely worth a rewatch if you haven’t seen it in a while. Another one of those stupid movies that are great to make fun of, Radio Rebel will definitely keep you entertained from start to finish.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010)

A cult classic, this movie has an all-star cast, incredible music, and a hilarious screenplay. It’s definitely one of my all-time favorites and is worth checking out. If you like comic books, video games, and Michael Cera, this movie is for you.

Sharkboy and Lava Girl (2005)

Another objectively bad pick, this movie probably had a big impact on your childhood and will definitely be entertaining to watch again. Taylor Lautner’s performance is obviously iconic, and the terrible CGI is absolutely hilarious. Another nostalgic pick that you can laugh about for a while.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (2019)

An Oscar-winning box office hit, Into the Spiderverse is easily the best animated movie I have ever seen. This movie does an amazing job at world-building, and the story and animation are absolutely captivating. 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018)

Even though Noah Centineo makes me cringe now, this movie is one of my go-to’s when I’m feeling sad or stressed out. It’s such a great romantic comedy, and even though Noah Centipede is gross irl, he’s kind of adorable as Peter Kavinsky. While the sequel didn’t impress me, this movie is one of the best Netflix Originals out there.

Sleepover (2004)

An early 2000’s hit that is severely underrated in my opinion, Sleepover is such a good situational teen comedy. It was one of Evan Peters’s first roles ever, and also features Steve Carrell, Jane Lynch, and Brie Larson. This movie is a great nostalgic treasure-hunt comedy that is definitely worth checking out if you haven’t seen it (mostly for Evan Peters playing an absolute dork).

Hey there! I'm Sophia Villamor, I'm an English major here at LMU, and am originally from the Bay Area. I love all things Disney, makeup, and fashion related.
Her Campus LMU