Campus Profile: Lash Nolen & Marina Marmolejo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

College. A few words that come to mind are: all-nighters, coffee, and heavy workload. About 95 percent of the time I want to take a nap. However, the great thing about college is having the opportunity to find yourself. College is a time to discover who you are and figure out who you want to be. Surround yourself with people who are going to challenge you and push you to be your best self. So take a moment and think about who inspires you. LMU is filled with so many role models, such as Lash Nolan and Marina Marmolejo. It is people like Lash and Marina who inspire you to be your best self. As senior Health and Human Sciences majors, President and Vice President of ASLMU and best friends, Lash and Marina truly embody what it means be a leader and to be a woman for others.

Names: Lash Nolen & Marina Marmolejo

Hometown:

Lash Nolen: Carson, CA               

Marina Marmolejo: Alhambra, CA

Favorite Food:

LN: Chick Fil A Nuggets w/ polynesian sauce

MM: Mexican food from a grimy taco truck

Favorite Movie:

LN: That’s tough one for me because I go the movies almost every weekend! A recent one I’ve seen that was pretty impactful was “Imperium” with Daniel Radcliffe.

MM: As of lately it’s been “Room.” That movie really makes you think about our own psychological development as a child.

As the current President and Vice President of the Associate Students of Loyola Marymount University, what upcoming goals do you have for the academic school year?

LN: We really want to get students engaged and informed for the upcoming Presidential Elections. Our generation is very disengaged when it comes to politics and we want to make sure that students realize how much of an impact their vote can make on a national and local level. My personal goal is to simply be present at as many athletic, cultural and social events as possible throughout the year to show our LMU community that ASLMU supports them and has their back.  

MM: One of our huge goals is to give a voice to those who have often been marginalized or underappreciated. For example, we are working hard to create more events for international students to engage with the greater LMU community. We are also working towards creating more safe spaces for commuter students to relax during their hectic days. We have also been meeting with Student Psychological Services (SPS) and plan to work closely with the Wellness Educators on campus to ensure the overall happiness and mental well being of students are met.

What’s your favorite thing about being in ASLMU?

LN: The opportunity to meet so many amazing people. This organization has been such a blessing in allowing me to enter spaces and meet people that otherwise I would have never engaged with. I’m looking forward to continuing to build these bonds.

MM: This year’s ASLMU team are all rock stars. They are all passionate about different aspects of campus culture and it’s truly a blessing being able to work with them. I can’t wait to see what we do this year because it’s definitely going to be unforgettable.

What else are you involved in on campus?

LN: I am a member of Belles Service Organization (Nutrition and Exercise instructor for Good Shepherd Domestic Violence Shelter). I am also a First-Year Retreat Leader and Spanish Translator for Venice Family Clinic.

MM: I am part of Pi Beta Phi sorority and work as a barista at the Lion’s Den (#rushden). I was an Orientation Leader the past two summers, along with being an intern and researcher at Safe Place for Youth (a drop in center for homeless youth in LA). I am also a leader for Ignacio Companions trip to Ecuador during spring break.

What advice do you have to anyone who wants to get involved in ASLMU or anything else on campus?

LN: If you’re interested in ASLMU check out our website aslmu.org or visit us in Malone 112! In general, my advice to students is to keep an open mind and don’t doubt yourself. Disappointment is a temporary part of the journey to success, so keep pushing forward!

MM: If you feel uncomfortable, then you’re doing something right. Try something completely new or challenging because in the process you will meet some of your best friends.

What do you like to do in your free time?

LN: I’m currently training for the LA marathon so running has recently become a huge part of my life, but I love spending time with my family. My mom and little brother are my favorite people, so any time I get to hang out with them it’s an amazing time.

MM: Free time, what’s that? Just kidding….I love running on the beach during sunset or just getting a group of my favorite people together and trying new restaurants during their happy hour.

Tell us a fun fact about yourself:

LN: I was an intern for the USA Women’s Basketball team for two summers!

MM: I have never been stung by a bee, but I had braces twice so I think that balances out.

A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.