Campus Celebrity: Sydny Gonzales

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Sydny in Cannes, France, at the Cannes Film Festival

What is it like being in the film school at LMU? 

Coming to LMU has been one of the best decisions I have made for myself and the School of Film & Television is to thank for that. My knowledge of Film & TV has progressed each year and I really do feel that I have learned invaluable skills that have prepared me for a successful career. What I love most about SFTV is the sense of community and support. I have made long-term friends who will probably become potential business partners, which means even more creatively fulfilling projects in the future! 

You recently got a new internship at Syfy. What’s that like?

I work in the unscripted department at Syfy and it is hands down the best entertainment industry internship I’ve experienced. I’m not doing your typical intern duties like coffee runs or walking the dog. I’m actively engaging in the company as if I were an actual employee. Every single one of my projects is enjoyable and creative, which I love! One minute I could be watching casting auditions for our latest show in development, and the next I could be sitting in on meetings with the EVP of the company.  

Any other past internships or experience in the film industry? 

I was fortunate enough to attend the Sundance and Cannes Film Festivals earlier this year as an intern for a leading talent agency and international sales company. I was exposed to every aspect of film in those weeks and I really immersed myself into two very different sides of the industry. The previous summer is when I had my very first internship at Route One Films as a development intern. 

Do you have any career role models?

Absolutely! Shonda Rhimes and Mindy Kaling are easily my number one role models. As a Latina, I admire the boundaries they have broken as women of color, but what is even more fascinating about them is their drive and work ethic. I hope to be just as successful in the world of Television. That is where my passion lies. 

What’s your dream job? 

My ultimate dream job is to become a Showrunner for a hit TV series in either scripted or unscripted television. Think Liz Lemon in 30 Rock, and of course, Shonda Rhimes! I like to be in control and contribute to every aspect of a project from start to finish. I think I definitely have the personality for that type of position. 

How do you balance work, school, and other campus involvements? 

When it comes to what I love, I’m willing to do it all. Don’t get me wrong, it’s extremely challenging to work a part-time internship with a 90 minute commute and be a full-time student; that’s where time management and a little extra effort come in. It’s also important to me to have fun and enjoy my college experience as much as possible. Greek life has been a way for me to get involved on campus and serve as VP Social Standards for my sorority, Delta Gamma. I’m also a big believer in “me time” so whenever I can, I make it a point to unwind with a little Netflix and a cup of hot tea. My philosophy is that it will all pay off in the end! 

Favorite show and movie? 

This question is impossible, but if I HAVE to narrow it down, I would say The Mindy Project, Scandal and anything with Meryl Streep!