Billie Eilish’s New Single “Your Power” Gives a Voice to Those Silenced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Billie Eilish has done it once again. She has just released her newest single, “Your Power,” and if you are anything like me, you have been listening to this banger on repeat since last week. It isn’t really all that surprising that Eilish has an instant hit. The artist has used music as a tool to provide truth and vulnerability in her songs. She has discussed a range of topics in the past including depression, suicidal ideation, anxiety, body image issues, etc. Now, she has done it again by singing about abusive relationships. 

It feels fitting that this song was released in the last week of April, the national awareness month for sexual assault. “Your Power” is giving back a voice to so many who have been silenced in the past whether it be from an abusive and toxic relationship, or through a traumatic sexual assault or harassment experience. In her Instagram post promoting the music video, Eilish mentioned that this is a song that is personal to her and required for her to be vulnerable. “This [song] is about many different situations that we’ve all either witnessed or experienced. I hope this can inspire change. Try not to abuse your power,” she mentions.

She sings “You made me feel / like it was my fault, you were the devil / Lost your appeal / Does it keep you in control? / For you to keep her in a cage? / And you swear you didn’t know / You said you thought she was your age.” The beautifully written song has resonated with many people as incidents like this are quite common. She has personally opened up about her experiences of being exploited as a minor in a previous relationship. The most notable thing about Eilish’s perception of this song is that even though she has experienced this, she wants to make this song more than just her experiences but also allow others to have a voice. This song brings into light the larger issue of how people in the Hollywood and music industry as a whole tend to belittle and exploit younger female artists.

Processing an abusive relationship like the one she mentions in “Your Power” is difficult in itself, but it takes even more courage to release music that allows others to heal from similar experiences. It goes without saying that Billie Eilish is such a strong and beautiful human being. She embodies the change that encapsulates much of Gen Z. The fact of the matter is that this song does much more than bring light to the issue, but begins to facilitate conversations. Many times, women have reported feeling dismissed by others because there is little knowledge of the frequency of issues like these ones. This also prevents women from speaking up because they feel as though they are demeaned and devalued. Eilish, like many of us, is calling for a drastic change so that we as a society can better support survivors that have personally gone through these experiences. 

This is a message that needs to be discussed not just in workspaces, but within social settings as it impacts many on a daily basis. Even if you think that you don’t know anybody who has experienced this exploitation or abuse first hand, think again. The fact of the matter is one in four girls will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime and most women have experienced sexual harassment at some point in their life. There is no world where this behavior should be condoned or accepted, and with artists with popularity like Eilish, momentum begins to arise in discussing these prevalent issues. Take some time to really intentionally listen to her message and think of how you can better help those who are impacted by this.

If you or someone you know is experiencing sexual assault/abuse or domestic violence, please reach out and look for help:

1. National Sexual Assault Line: (800) 656-4673

2. National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233

Hi!! I'm Christina Fazio and I'm a psychology major and double minor in Women and Gender Studies & Journalism at LMU and am originally from the Hollywood area. I typically love to talk about social justice issues, mental health issues and I enjoy the simple things in life including journalism, binge-watching shows on Netflix, and looking out at the Bluff at LMU. Constantly learning new ways to be informed and educated and sharing that through my writing.
Her Campus LMU