This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.
Franklin Canyon Park

This park is my favorite hidden gem tucked away in Beverly Hills, off of Mulholland Drive. Picture large grass fields, oak woodlands, a three-acre lake, a separate duck pond, and a home for so many birds. My favorite place to picnic is in the field underneath one of the many large oak trees, but there are also lots of picnic benches by the duck pond. Best of all, there are three different hiking trails (easy, moderate, and strenuous) here to enjoy the scenery and work off all the picnic charcuterie and wine.

Point Dume State Beach

If you are willing to pay for parking, you’ll be rewarded here. Another gem, I’ve never seen this beach crowded. There’s also a path leading up to the large rock with beautiful views, flower fields covering it in the spring, and most of the time, you can even see the seals at the base of the rock. Set up your picnic, and enjoy watching the sunset here – just watch out for hungry seagulls!

Griffith Observatory

The famous Griffith Observatory has a massive lawn in front of it for people to picnic and enjoy the views of the Hollywood sign and the rest of Los Angeles. While probably more crowded, there’s a ton to do here with the museum inside the observatory and the ability to walk around, enjoying views from new spots. Filled with pop culture history as well, you can even walk to the bench where they filmed “La La Land,” up the hill where they filmed “Rebel Without a Cause,” and many more. There are also tons of hiking trails, as all the best picnic spots do. 

Leo Carrillo State Beach

Home to the best sunset I have ever seen, this might be my favorite picnic spot in LA, and if you like beach picnics, I think this might be your favorite too. Easily the least crowded on the list, I’ll let you all in on my secret. Right after the state beach entrance, and the more popular staircase beach entrance, park off the side of the PCH, and you’ll see another sandy, less prominent staircase. Head down these windy steps, and you’ll be welcomed by a quiet beach with rock formations that each gives you your own secluded area. You can walk the beach for miles here as well, and I guarantee absolute serenity. Another bonus, seagulls aren’t as much of a problem here as Point Dume.

Echo Park

Echo Park Lake is famous for its downtown skyline, lotus flower blooms, and fountains. It truly makes an amazing spot for a picnic! The recreation center has picnic tables and barbeque pits, but you can also just lay down some blankets by the water. Additionally, you can pedal boat, or even swan boat, your way through the lake, stroll through the walking paths, and check out some of the landmarks the park offers, like the boathouse and the Lady of the Lake statue. 

Katie Robinson is a junior majoring in Communications at LMU. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia, and now loves living in Los Angeles. In her free time, you can catch her doing DIY projects, watching every single movie on Netflix, and finding new places in nature to explore.
Her Campus LMU