‘Bachelor in Paradise’ Season 6, Episode 13 Recap: Who is Engaged and Who is the Next Bachelor?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Paradise is over, and so is summer, but the relationships are just beginning. This past Tuesday night’s highly anticipated three-hour finale of ABC’s Bachelor in Paradise brought engagements, tears, frustration, and best of all, our new bachelor. 

Almost Paradise

The show started out with the four remaining couples – Katie Morton and Chris Bukowski, Hannah Godwin and Dylan Barbour, Demi Burnett and Kristian Haggerty, and Clay Harbor and Nicole Lopez-Alvar – going on their final dates with the added opportunity to head into the Fantasy Suite. 

Katie and Chris are first, and Katie was very confused as to where Chris’s head was at. Chris reassured Katie by telling her, “I don’t think I would have walked away from that beach and sat here with you today if I didn’t feel like I was falling in love with you. I’m excited to show you that I won’t falter.” Satisfied with this new sense of clarity, the couple decided to accept the overnight date. 

The next couple was Hannah and Dylan, the pair that had been secure and strong from the very beginning. The two confessed their love for one another on their one-on-one date in episode 12, but both still have their reservations regarding their friends and families. Hannah wished that their families could be included in their engagement process. The couple reassured one another, reminding themselves that their friends and family will love them together, and then they too headed into the Fantasy Suite.

Demi and Kristian were next and, despite their progressing relationship, the two experienced a difficult past couple of days on the show. Demi struggled with fully embracing her sexuality and struggled specifically with how other people would perceive her. However, Demi praised Kristian for being patient with her and for helping her become more comfortable with herself. And with that, the couple headed into the Fantasy Suite.

Nicole and Clay were the last of the remaining couples, and they had a very different experience. Even though Nicole expressed her love for Clay, Clay felt he could not reciprocate the same feelings. He even said to her, “I’m not one hundred percent confident, there are still doubts, I’m not one hundred percent ready for a proposal, I’m not one percent ready to move in together. I think we have more to explore.” Nicole was completely blindsided by this, and the two actually decide to spend the night apart. 

Nicole woke up alone the next morning hurt and unsure of what was to come, but she was still unwilling to give up on the relationship. On the beach, Nicole asked Clay, “I just need you to answer this one question: Yes or no, Clay, do you love me?” Clay responded that he’s “not there yet,” but that he’s willing to leave Mexico together unengaged, as a couple. 

With that, Nicole was left heartbroken and in tears. She replied, “I can’t tell people that we’re together knowing that you don’t love me back.” Nicole stayed true to herself and did exactly what was right for her, even though it meant letting go of the love of her life. She proved that no matter how much you love someone, you should never settle for less than you deserve! 

Katie and Chris, on the other hand, woke up happier than ever…but Chris still was unsure of whether or not he would propose. He believed that in the moment he would know what he should do. On the beach, Katie met Chris who said, “I can’t even explain how I feel right now because I’ve never felt it before. I just feel like I’m the luckiest man in the world.” With that, Chris proposed to Katie who happily accepted, and the pair left Mexico as the first couple, engaged!

Dylan and Hannah were next, and I don’t think that anyone had their doubts about whether or not Dylan would propose. The guy was basically in love with Hannah the moment he stepped onto the beach. Despite Dylan’s confidence, Hannah had her reservations about “getting into something so soon.”

On the beach, Dylan told Hannah, “I didn’t come here to spend my summer with you, I came here to spend my life with you. And I’m ready for that life to start now.” Hannah then referred to being ‘broken’ in the past. Referencing her split with previous bachelor, Colton Underwood, she said: “And even though my relationship crumbled, it kind of crumbled a part of me, too.”

Dylan’s response to Hannah was that he would be willing to board a plane to Birmingham to meet Hannah’s family, and with that, he got down on one knee, proposed, and receives a yes! 

Lastly, Demi and Kristian woke up the next morning more in love than ever. Demi said that she wanted Kristian to be a part of her life forever. On the beach, Demi proposed to Kristian saying, “I came here to find myself, but I found myself in you. I love you so much, I’m so in love with you, I didn’t even think it was possible to feel this way about someone.”

Kristian accepted the proposal, making the pair Bachelor in Paradise’s first same-sex engagement. On the After the Final Rose segment, Kristian proposed to Demi, and they both showed off their Neil Lane rings!

With the three proposals and one heart-wrenching breakup, the host of the show, Chris Harrison, closed Paradise until 2020!

Will You Accept This Rose?

Along with engagements and breakups, our newest Bachelor was revealed!

And it’s . . . 

Get ready for it . . . 

Pilot Pete!

Peter Weber’s journey on Hannah Brown’s season of The Bachelorette ended following his Fantasy Suite date in Greece. He is most well known for being the “windmill guy” and is loved for his charismatic personality and million-dollar laugh.

While a vast majority of fans wanted Mike Johnson as the next bachelor, it seems as if he’s got his hands full with pop sensation Demi Lovato. Johnson would’ve been the franchise’s first bachelor of color, leaving many viewers upset that another Caucasian man has been chosen. 

Despite all the backlash, I believe that Pete will provide the audience with a very authentic season and will lead with his heart. He has the potential to find a passionate love, and we get to see more of his adorable parents! 

I trust the team that picks the bachelor or bachelorette. When Colton Underwood of season 23 of The Bachelor was chosen, many were upset that Blake Horstmann, runner up on Becca Kufrin’s season, was not chosen, but Colton delivered a great season! Hannah Brown faced similar reactions when she was chosen as the Bachelorette over fan favorites Caelynn Miller-Keyes and Tayshia Adams, but she led her season with poise, grace, and humility, while also becoming a strong female role model to many young women. Hannah became one of America’s most beloved Bachelorettes ever. Peter Weber’s sensitivity to situations and his care-free personality are reminiscent of another fan favorite, Bachelor Ben Higgins of season 20. Since Peter is similar to him, long-time fans will find comfort with Pete that we haven’t seen in several seasons.

Even though it would be nice to see a lead of color, I do think that it is in the near future that this will come to fruition. In the meantime, Peter will deliver a dynamic season of vulnerability that includes a lot of pilot puns!

Nikki is a senior at LMU from Honolulu, Hawai'i and is majoring in Communications Studies with minors in Journalism and Health and Society. She is also the president of Her Campus LMU.