danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

In Appreciation of Uniforms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

You can take the girl out of Catholic school, but you can’t take Catholic school out of the girl. Is that how it goes? I might have made that up. Having attended Catholic school from kindergarten through my senior year of high school, I learned many valuable things both in and outside of the classroom. LMU is a Jesuit university, and although the teachings are similar to those I learned growing up, there are also some differences. Both are great, and like I said, I have learned some really great things. Perhaps one of the most beneficial has been an early respect and appreciation for a uniform.

I wore variations of a plaid skirt/skort, cardigan, and polo throughout all of my years of Catholic education, and have unconsciously adopted it into my routine as a student and intern. Coming to college and not having a set outfit ready to go in the mornings was definitely an adjustment, but I have had a few years to get used to creating my own version. Having a uniform not only reduces stress when it comes to picking an outfit every day, but also helps with shopping for clothes. Once you know what you like and what works, your personal style falls into place. Do you (consciously or subconsciously) have a go-to “uniform”? Let us know in the comments!

· Dark wash jeans, a loose cotton top, a sweater, and sneakers or flats is an easy, versatile version of an outfit that I have adopted as my everyday “uniform” (middle).

· As an intern, it is important to show commitment to looking good and doing good work. My go-to for office attire is a structured pant, crisp button down top, blazer, and flats (left). Like my everyday attire, it works because it is simple to put together and can be modified in many ways.

Note: Sticking with a neutral color palette is a no-fail way to get a lot of use out of a look, but replacing a basic with a printed top for a pop of color is a great way to mix things up. Accessories are great for this, too.