8 Reasons Why You Should Watch Love on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The characters are relatable.

The show centers around Mickey, a rebellious, radio show producer and Gus, an awkward, on-set tutor, and follows all the ups and downs of their blossoming relationship. You see their anxieties and the ways they try to self-sabotage their new relationship, as well as all the excitement and butterflies, which make it feel extremely real.

The fashion!!

Mickey and her roommate, Bertie, are definitely two of the best dressed women on television today. Mickey’s grungy, vintage rocker style contrasts perfectly with Bertie’s bright, girly looks, which are both created using a mix of trendy pieces and adorable thrift-store finds. Love serves as a major fashion inspiration and I’m sure you’ll find yourself envious of at least Mickey’s signature set of stack rings.

It’s funny without trying too hard.

Complete with one-liners and realistically comical situations, Love is funny without trying too hard.

It doesn’t just focus on romantic relationships, but also discusses family and friendships.

The show is called Love, so obviously it centers around Gus and Mickey’s courtship, but the show also touches upon sibling rivalry, the struggle of reverting back to our old selves when we’re around our parents and best friend break-ups.

The soundtrack!!

The soundtrack is probably one of my favorite things about the show. It features a variety of different artists from the Beastie Boys to The Temptations to FIDLAR, and every song seems to suit the scene perfectly. Check out the playlist here on Spotify

It takes place in LA.

Having grown up (and currently living) in Los Angeles, I can appreciate the one-liners that describe the simultaneous bliss and hardship that go along with living in the city of angels. It’s exciting to know that many of their excursions are similar to ones my own friends and I have gone on and that I can visit most of the filming locations if I want to embark on new adventures.

It’s feminist.

Between Mickey confronting her suitors for trying to “fix” her and trying to turn her into person they want her to be, the empowering and sex-positive radio show hosted by Mickey’s friend, Stella, and several female characters calling out men trying to mansplain basic concepts to them, Love portrays their characters as real world feminists.

It’s the romantic comedy we deserve.

I’m not super into romantic comedies; I’ve never seen Love Actually or Sleepless in Seattle. However, I’m literally obsessed with Love, which is a real and refreshing take on your classic love story. If you’re a romantic comedy fan, I would suggest you watch because the story of Mickey and Gus is adorable, but if you’re not, I say watch anyway because I’m positive that other parts of the shows will resonate with you.

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball.