Turtleneck Hero Imagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Turtleneck Hero Imagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pinterest
Style

8 Different Ways of Styling Turtlenecks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Turtleneck, mock neck, a grandma top? Whatever you know these tops by, I will be describing different ways you can enjoy and style them, the majority will consist of layering for a trendy look. A basic white or gray turtleneck would be the standard for layering, but you can also incorporate different colors, prints, and textures, because the more expressive the better! If you do not own turtlenecks but you would like to try out any of the styles opt for shopping secondhand at thrift stores or Depop. However, if you would like to purchase a few brand-new make sure to shop sustainably and ethically at places such as Lacausa, Reformation, and Los Angeles Apparel

Worn Alone

Turtlenecks worn alone can be fitted, cropped or oversized and styled with jeans, casual dress pants, and even skirts. 

Graphic Tees

Turtlenecks under graphic tees are one of my favorite outfits! Graphic tees can be fitted or oversized for a trendy, comfy look. and Pair with jeans or a pair of fun pants, don’t be afraid to mix prints! 

Vest

For a vintage, seasonal vibe, an oversized knitted vest can be worn on top of a simple turtleneck. You can also choose to wear a fitted, button up linen vest. For your bottoms, you can wear any and all bottoms you desire, from tennis skirts to dress pants. Aside from vests, bodysuits could be a great layering item. 

Flannel or Dress Shirts 

The fall season calls for flannel shirts, which pair excellently with a turtleneck, jeans, and some boots. Aside from flannels, you can find oversized vintage dress shirts at thrift stores, or online on Depop. 

Jumpsuit or Overalls  

A basic white turtleneck can be worn over a colored or printed jumpsuit, or you can choose a fun top to wear under denim overalls. Or if you’d like, play around with designs and colors! 

Spaghetti Strap Dress

You can never go wrong with wearing a cute little dress! Try pairing a black spaghetti strap dress with a colored turtleneck, or a neutral colored top with a printed dress. 

Outerwear 

For a simple vintage or streetwear look, you can pair your favorite turtleneck with a denim jacket or a puffer jacket.  If you’d like a more business casual look, wear it with a blazer or trench coat. Any of these would be the perfect look for the fall and winter seasons! 

Crewneck Sweatshirts 

Streetwear has been very prominent, and to achieve this look pair a vibrant sweatshirt with a white turtleneck under. If you have striped turtlenecks and sweatshirts with a design, opt to combine the two for a fresh look. For your colored sweatshirt, you can choose the Champion or Nike brand, and there are many impeccable options for these on Depop. Complete your outfit with a pair of joggers or baggy jeans.  

Marieann is a second year student at Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles. She is a Spanish major and pursuing a teaching credential. As a native to LA, she loves to visit picturesque places and try new restaurants (sometimes the same yummy ones). Marieann loves creating content, both graphics and creative pieces. She loves fashion and has her own small, handmade jewelry business!
Her Campus LMU