8 Books to Read Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

During the semester, it’s hard to find any time to read. There’s no time to finish your class readings, let alone a book just for enjoyment. With the holidays coming up, it is the perfect time to catch up on some of the great literature you’ve missed over the last semester. Take a peek at some of these best reads of 2017, and see if there’s any you want to add to your Christmas list.

1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

This novel has already been turned into a film, which promises to be as interesting and suspenseful as this page turner. The plot follows the process of trying to find out who had committed the murder on a train in an area in which there are no police or detectives aboard the train. The differences in the characters from around the world bring a comedic aspect to an overall apprehensive story.

2. Turtles all the Way Down by John Green

Is there any John Green book we don’t want to read? By the author of The Fault in Our Stars as well as so many other bestsellers, there’s no doubt that this novel will be intriguing. This one specifically follows a young girl Aza as she tries her hardest to keep her life together.

3. This is Really Happening by Erin Chack

Reading a Y.A. book is always a great way to unwind, even if you aren’t really a teen anymore. This one is told through a series of true stories by Buzzfeed senior writer Erin Chack. They are emotional, hilarious and a nice and easy read to relax this holiday season.

4. Less by Andrew Sean Greer

Critics everywhere are saying it’s hilarious and once you read it you won’t be able to disagree. Each chapter takes place in a different country and brings a new level of humor. In addition, it is a national bestseller on Amazon, a New York Times Notable Book of 2017, a Washington Post Top Ten Book of 2017 and was considered for the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence, so you don’t have to take my word for it being good.

5. What Happened by Hillary Clinton

Following the election results over a year ago, regardless of whether you are politically aware it was hard not to wonder what Hillary Clinton must have been thinking. This aptly named book gives the concerned reader a look into what Clinton believed to have happened. If you weren’t really paying attention to the politics, it will give you an idea of what people were talking about when they said stuff like ‘the emails’ of ‘the Russians’.

6. The Idiot by Elif Batuman

This novel details an unconventional love in 1995. It originally describes every aspect of the character’s world while leaving the main plot unclear. While it is certainly unique, don’t start this one until you are ready to sit down and figure out what is truly going on in the Harvard dorms. Once you do though, it will certainly be worth it.

7. Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood

A book off of the New York Times Book Review 10 Best Books of 2017 and a #1 best seller in Amazon’s Religious Humor section, this book is the memoir of poet Patricia Lockwood. The humorous retelling of her childhood focuses on growing up in the Midwest with her unusual father whose priesthood led to a life within the Catholic Church.

8. Wonder by R.J. Palacio

This novel manages to be heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. The story follows a young boy with a face deformity through his first year at public school, where he learns both how cruel and how understanding people can choose to be. While this novel is aimed at a younger reader, its message is palpable to people of any age and definitely worth a read. A movie based on the book has also premiered, but be sure to read the book first; the book is always better!