7 Tips for Buying Kylie Cosmetics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

1. Ignore the haters

When purchasing or using Kylie Cosmetics, unfortunately you need to prepare for some haters. Thats okay though, because believe me whether or not this brand was associated with Kylie (who I love) I would probably still buy the products. THEY ARE THAT GOOD. 

2. Everything will look so much different on you than you think so do your research!

I found out the hard way that colors that look amazing on Kylie don’t always look so great on me. For example, Dolce on my skintone is more of a deep brown than a nude. From that I learned that, when possible, reserach before you buy. There are so many makeup artists out there that have either swatched or tried on most of the Kylie Lip Kits. Find someone who is close to or matches your coloring and see how the shade you’re coveting looks on them.  

3. You cannot go wrong with the eyeshadow palettes

Although I have only tried the Bronze palette, I can confidentially say that the formula for the eyeshadows is perfect. They go on smoothly, blend easily and most importantly they stay on! So take your pick, whether you prefer bronze or burgundy, you can’t go wrong.

4. You will want that lip liner

Recently Kylie started selling the liquid lipsticks seperate from the lip liners. While it may be more cost conscience to just buy the liquid lipstick, I don’t recommend it. I’ve found that what makes my lipstick stay for HOURS (and really it seriously stays for hours) is the lip liner underneath, the liquid lipstick alone just won’t do it. I always take my lip liner and line my lips and then fill in my lips with the liner as well and then add the liquid lipstick. 

5. Don’t bother with the eyeliners or lip glosses.

I own both and eyeliner and lip gloss and neither have really impressed me. The bronze eyeliner pencil and gel liner  were both lacking the pigmentation I had hoped for, they barely even showed up. The lip glosses aren’t anything special either, I didn’t notice any distinct different from any other lipgloss out there. Unless you want to match the color to your lip kit then go for it!   

6. The metallics however are amazing!

The metallics are unlike any lipgloss I’ve ever used, and they look so good on! Metallic lips are a huge trend for spring so order up before the sell out. 

7. Dab Dab Dab Dab Dab

My last tip come from King Kylie herself. When applying the lip kit, apply the liner and liquid lipstick as I previously described; but then dab your finger over your lips pushing the product in. This will help to remove any excess product while also making the lipstick last longer! I’ve learned that this is an important step, otherwise my lips have turned out flaky from the excessive lipstick. I also learned (the hard way) that you have to use your finger, not a tissue, as it can get stuck to the lipstick leaving a weird texture or little bits of paper on your lips- not cute.

You now are Kylie-pro, so go out and shop that new Valentine’s Collection!