7 Female Musicians You Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

2018 has been a great year for music. We’ve seen the return of many of our favorite artists and we’ve seen the rise of some new stars. I’ve cultivated a list of some of my favorite, lesser-known female musicians that you’re going to want to be on the lookout for.

King Princess

I attended a King Princess show at the Troubadour back in June and I’m not overexaggerating when I say that it was the best show I’ve ever been to. The nineteen-year-old singer grew up in her dad’s New York studio and was offered a record deal years ago, which she turned down to finish school. Now, signed to Mark Ronson’s label, she has a studio album set to come out later this year, hopefully containing more of the meaningful lyrics and bass lines that make her Make My Bed EP so incredible. If you still need some convincing, Harry Styles is also obsessed, tweeting the lyrics to her hit “1950” back in March.

Reminds Me Of: Lorde

Favorite Songs: “Talia”, “Upper West Side’

Dodie

Dodie Clark is most well-known for her YouTube channel, doddleoddle which is honestly why it took me so long to get into her. I thought she was just another one of countless YouTube musicians, but her lyrics perfectly encompass the roller coaster of emotions that come with being a young and in love/finding your people/figuring out who you are. Also, most of her songs are mainly acoustic, which makes them perfect background music for studying.

Reminds Me Of: Ingrid Michaelson

Favorite Songs: “Party Tattoos”, “She”

Tessa Violet

I discovered Tessa Violet a few weeks ago when my roommate and I were watching music videos and her video for “Crush” came up in the recommended. It very quickly became my go-to walking to class song. In addition to having a few catchy pop tunes, she also has a lot of more lowkey ballads and I’m incredibly excited for her first album which she’s releasing in “acts” instead of dropping it all at once, so keep a lookout!

Reminds Me Of: Carly Rae Jepsen

Favorite Songs: “Not Over You”, “Just Right”

Vérité

Vérité’s cover of The 1975’s “Somebody Else” went viral in 2016, because it turned the broody original into a more bright pop ballad, but she’s a star in her own right. With a soulful voice and catchy beats, Vérité is perfect for dorm dance parties.

Reminds Me Of: Ariana Grande

Favorite Songs: “Nothing”, “Saint”

Yaeji

Yaeji is New York based artist who blends quiet vocals, house music, and hip hop to create a unique sound. Her soft electronic sound is perfect for those early mornings where you want some music to get ready to but nothing too loud.

Reminds Me Of: Grimes

Favorite Songs: “Feel It Out”, “passionfruit” (Drake cover)

Kodie Shane

Kodie’s been touring with Lil Yachty, but has been making waves on the hip hop scene all on her own. The 19-year-old rapper is crazy talented and I hope to start hearing her being played at parties soon.

Reminds Me Of: Chance the Rapper

Favorite Songs: “Sing to Her”, “Bounce Back”

Mitski

I found out about Mitski from a playlist my ex made for me and I’ve been obsessed ever since. Mitski’s soft voice over guitar (both acoustic and electric) makes her the ideal soundtrack for hanging out, driving, or just relaxing.

Reminds Me Of: Kacey Musgraves

Favorite Songs: “Lonesome Love”, “Your Best American Girl”

Mabel

This list ends the way it started: with a Harry Styles-endorsed artist. The Swedish-British singer opened up for him on his European tour. Her unique, upbeat sound is perfect for working out, walking to class, or just dancing around in your room.

Reminds Me Of: Dua Lipa

Favorite Songs: “Cigarettes”, “One Shot”

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball.