7 Examples Of The Mandela Effect That Will Make You Rethink Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

If you have been on the internet in the last couple of years, you have probably heard about the Mandela Effect. If not (get out from under the rock you have been living under) and prepare to have your mind fully blown.

The Mandela Effect describes the psychological phenomenon of remembering something that didn’t actually happen. The name originates from the mass of people who believed that Nelson Mandela died in prison during the 80s, when in reality Mandela actually died on December 5, 2013.  

The false memory of Nelson Mandela’s death among many others has led many people to believe that we are currently living in a parallel universe. Whether you believe in a possibility of traveling into another dimension or not, some of these examples of false memory will definitely make you rethink some of your most vivid child memories.

1) Darth Vader never said “Luke, I am your father”

https://youtu.be/bv20ZoBcdO8?t=1m50s

He actually says “No, I am your father”. There’s no way we could have ALL misheard this classic movie line.

2) The Queen in Snow White was severely misquoted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AMBBozEqI

You’ve probably heard the phrase “mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all” a million times as a child. But, according to the movie, the Queen actually says “magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all”.

3) Pikachu’s tail ?

So many people recall Pikachu having a tail with a black tip, but if you look up the iconic animated character, you’ll see nothing of the sort. Despite this, there are numerous cases of fanart online that feature Pikachu with a black tail.

4) ‘No time for losers, ‘cause we are the champions…’

‘Of the world’? Wrong. The iconic Queen song doesn’t actually end with these words. It just stops at ‘cause we are the champions’. Have we all been screaming the lyrics to this memorable song incorrectly after all these years?

5) The Monopoly Man doesn’t have a monocle

It’s shocking to believe that the face of this popular board game doesn’t quite look like what we remember, but Rich Uncle Moneybags has never sported a single lens.

6) “The Berenstein Bears” or the “The Berenstain Bears” ?

This false memory is one of the most popular examples of the Mandela Effect. Most people remember the lovable family of bears as the ‘Berenstein Bears’, when every single book and DVD case spells the name as ‘Berenstain Bears’.

7) Is ‘febreze’ spelt with one ‘e’ or two?

Yet again, another case of ‘how was it spelt again?’. Everyone knows this popular household air freshener, but I guess not that well. The bottle on the right never existed. Strange, right?