This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It’s official, spooky season has arrived!! Even though I have adequately purchased quite literally every pumpkin themed product sold at Trader Joe’s, another thing is quickly approaching – midterms (cue the collective boo). Midterms are a really stressful time for a lot of us. It always feels as though we just started classes and are then magically expected to take these exams. Managing exams, projects, papers, etc. with a social life as well as trying not to get the flu sometimes feels impossible. 

Much like every other college student on campus, I have been struggling to find that balance. But fear not (pun intended), I have created a succinct list of my all time favorite tips to manage self-care during this time.

Take a Nap

It is so easy to neglect our physical health when we are trying to cram in for the latest exam. I am particularly guilty when it comes to this. But taking a nap not only can help you retain information, but you may also feel more energized and more willing to study after 30 minutes of sleep. If taking a nap is honestly something you don’t like to do, then maybe try going to sleep an hour earlier than usual so that you can get a good night’s sleep!

Go on a walk

In Los Angeles, we are so lucky that for the majority of the year, we have amazing weather. Taking the time to listen to some music, or maybe your favorite podcasts, while being outside in nature walking around campus or your neighborhood can help with feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious. Twenty minutes can make a big shift in your day and in your mood!

Unplug from social media

A lot of times when we try to relax, we turn to our phones. Even though the intent may be to distract ourselves for a time, sometimes it can create more stress. There are research studies that actually link social media to higher levels of anxiety in college students. Try it out. Maybe that means putting a 30 minute limit to TikTok and Instagram or even turning off notifications (trust me, it helps).

Tea & Coffee Dates

Personally, this is my favorite tool for self-care during midterms and finals. I love to take some time during the week to sit at my dining room table with my roommate and some friends to go over our weeks. It is really helpful to release stress and tension. Another added bonus is taking a break from studying and catching up with friends!!

Take three deep breaths

Feeling anxious is completely normal. We all go through it. Whether you are overwhelmed the night before the exam or five minutes, centering yourself is an incredible tool to use to get through it. For this one, you may want to find yourself in a comfortable position, which may mean lying on the floor or lounging in a chair. It may help to take a second to close your eyes and inhale slowly through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Do this three times. Guaranteed this technique will regulate your breathing and help with your focus and confidence before the exam.

Superhero Power Stance

Much like the deep breathing, this is a power pose that research shows can help build your confidence especially before an exam or daunting task. Standing with your feet shoulder width apart and your fists on your hips, stand up straight with your head held high and take some breaths. Doing this even for five minutes can help you with not only your confidence but your performance. Don’t believe me, ask Amelia Shepherd!!

With all this being said, not every strategy and coping skill may work for everyone, and that is okay. At the end of the day, midterms are stressful, and you need to do whatever it takes to take care of both your mental and physical health.

Hi!! I'm Christina Fazio and I'm a psychology major and double minor in Women and Gender Studies & Journalism at LMU and am originally from the Hollywood area. I typically love to talk about social justice issues, mental health issues and I enjoy the simple things in life including journalism, binge-watching shows on Netflix, and looking out at the Bluff at LMU. Constantly learning new ways to be informed and educated and sharing that through my writing.