6 of the Most Powerful Scenes from the Movie “Loving”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Based on a true story, “Loving” takes you back not too long ago to a time where interracial marriage was illegal in a lot of states. It focuses on the storey of Richard and Mildred Loving. They were arrested for being married in Virginia and the movie takes us through their life after that all the way to the Supreme Court battle of Loving vs. Virginia where the court ruled in favor of Loving.

Here are some of the the most powerful scenes of the movie:

1. The night of the marriage

Can you imagine on the night you got married the police busted into your home while you were asleep next to your newlywed? That is exactly what happened to Richard and Mildred Loving. The police arrested both of them and threw them in jail. They were sentenced to leave the state of Virginia for 25 years and if they were to return together they would both be thrown in jail.

2. The Birth of their First Child

Mildred wanted Richard’s mother to deliver their first born child ,so they both secretly went back to Virginia. A day after their child’s birth the police came and arrested the both of them again. Fortunately they were able to escape jail ,but again they were forced to leave Virginia and this time definitely not come back until the time was up.

3. Meeting with the Lawyers

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union)  assigned Richard and Mildred Loving with two lawyers for free to help them fight their case.  The mission was to go all the way to the Supreme Court and change the constitution.

4. National Geographic Photos

As their popularity rose everyone wanted to cover the story of Richard and Mildred. A National Geographic photographer quietly documented the lives of Richard and Mildred and this beauitful picture was taken.

5. “Tell the Judge I Love My Wife”

Richard and Mildred decided not to go with the lawyers to the Supreme Court. However, Richard did tell one of the lawyers what he wanted the judges to know.

6. Supreme Court

In an unanimous decision on June 12, 1967 the decision invalidated laws prohibiting interracial marriage. Chief Justice Earl Warren stated “Marriage is one of the “basic civil rights of man,” fundamental to our very existence and survival…. “

Richard and Mildred Loving paved the way for marriage equality for the United States of America. If you do not see any other film this year…make sure you watch Loving!

Loyola Marymount University'19 
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.