This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Maybe you’re reading this thinking it is way too early to start talking about finals with midterm season slowly coming to a close. Sadly, finals are just right around the corner and the study grind never stops. But not to worry as this article will outline some tips that have helped me get through exam season in flying colors!

Get a planner

I cannot even begin to stress enough how helpful a planner is! A planner is a worthy investment as it could help you map out and organize your day, week, and month. Not only will this help with allocating the right amount of time for every task, but it will incentivize you to become more productive by checking off each item like a to-do list. Additionally, I find that writing down the things you have to do instead of typing it out on a reminder list or calendar helps with getting a bigger picture perspective of what you have to do.

Finals season is hectic, chaotic, and stressful, and getting a planner can make days seem more manageable. Just take a deep breath, sit down, and strategically map out what you have to do over a period of days so that you don’t feel bogged down by so many exams and assignments. 

Review your notes, not your textbook

This tip works best if you are the note-taker type. Reviewing your notes rather than your textbook will help you retain information easier, especially since your notes might be more tailored to fit your way of thinking and understanding. Lecture notes and textbook annotations are not as dense and usually highlight key, essential information needed for exams. Additionally, reviewing your notes save you more time than re-reading your textbook aimlessly.

With exams being offered online for a majority of students this semester, you have the luxury of reviewing both your notes and your textbook (if necessary). However, it may be a more helpful practice in the future to take effective notes that will help you study for exams. 

Attend office hours

You’ve been racking your brain for the answers, trying to understand what this means or what that means. Rather than wasting time trying to find out a half-mediocre answer, attend office hours! Your professors are here at your disposal, use them as your resources to climb the ladder of success. During office hours, you can ask them all sorts of questions and maybe even get to know them better, building meaningful relationships.

With finals being cumulative, it is difficult enough trying to remember everything over the past four months. Attending office hours is a reminder that you’re not alone in this and that asking for help when needed is not a terrible thing.

Study a little bit of information each day and DON’T CRAM!

Procrastination is oh so tempting, but luckily there are ways to battle it. By studying a little bit every day, you will start to retain the information better and feel productive too! Taking a large task and breaking it into small, manageable chunks will not only relieve your stress, but it will help you in the long run when you are taking the exam. By not studying at all until the last minute, cramming everything you’ve learned over the past four months into one day, you might do poorly on the exam.

The whole gist of this tip is to take things slowly and carefully, focusing on small parts of a task. It might be difficult at first, but you will eventually get a hang of it. 

Rewrite your notes or teach it to someone

This tip may seem extreme at first, but it does wonders for studying the material! Sometimes rewriting your notes can give you a new perspective on the subject. This also gives you an opportunity to rewrite your notes in a more concise and brief manner, making them easier to read and understand. And if you’re rewriting your notes by hand, you are more likely able to memorize the content better.

If you’re not all about rewriting your notes, you can also try teaching the material to someone! Teaching someone who doesn’t know anything about the material will test your knowledge while highlighting what key concepts you bring up. If you feel that you can’t adequately teach someone the subject, then that’s an indicator that you need to do some more studying!

Everyone’s study habits are different and the way one absorbs information is different. These tips aren’t the only ways to do well on your exam, but think about them and find one that works best for you! Good luck!

Vivian is a junior majoring in journalism. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. In her free time, you will often find her watching sitcoms, crocheting, reading, or scrolling through Twitter for the best memes.
Her Campus LMU