Culture > News

5 Things President-Elect Joe Biden’s Victory Means for the United States

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

After exceeding the 270 electoral votes needed, Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the United States. With so much news out there it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Here is the TDLR version of the top five things that Biden’s win means for the United States. 

1. We will rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement. 

Joe Biden tweeted on November 4 that he plans on rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement on his first day in office. 

2. He will create jobs. 

COVID-19 has placed a large burden on our economy, especially with Trump’s refusal to act quickly. Biden’s current plans include the creation of an estimated 7 million new jobs. 

3. He has plans to increase the COVID-19 stimulus given to Americans.

While this is largely dependent on bipartisan support, Biden has plans to increase unemployment insurance, send more direct payments to Americans who are struggling financially, and provide more aid to small businesses.

4. He plans on changing the immigration policies enacted in the past four years. 

Biden has often referred to Trump’s immigration policies as “damaging” and plans to revert them. Additionally, he currently has plans to expand the number of high-skilled worker visas granted by the United States. 

5. He will raise taxes (on the wealthy). 

Biden has probably received the most criticism on his proposed tax plan. He wants to raise the corporate tax rate from 21% to 28%  and penalize corporations who ship jobs overseas, raise the top individual income rate back to 39.6%, and increase taxes on those making more than those earning over $400,000.

Bonus…

6. Major Biden will be the 1st First (Rescue) Dog. 

While the former Vice President has two adorable German shepherds, his dog, Major will be making United States history as the first rescue dog to live at the White House.

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball. 
Her Campus LMU