5 things to do with your family over the holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

1. See a movie

So many great films come out over the holidays it’s the perfect excuse to head to the theater and spend some time together. In theaters now, Instant Family tells the story of Ellie (Rose Byrne) and Pete (Mark Wahlberg) who suddenly adopt three kids. They hilariously struggle to adjust to this new lifestyle making it relatable to all families.

2. Get outside

Yes, my family is one of those that wakes up at 6:30 on Thanksgiving to do a 5k. But we do draw the line at running in costume so we do have some boundaries. Even if you aren’t game for a run before the feast, try and incorporate some kid of outdoor activity with your family whether it’s a bike ride, hike, or just a walk through the neighborhood.

3. Cook

Something my dad and I love to do over the holidays is plan the menu for the various parties we host and cook it together. Eventually the whole family gets involved and it makes the meal that much better when you appreciate all of the hard work that went into it.

4. Game night

As the youngest at arguably most competitive person in my family, I always appreciate a good game night. From cards to Monopoly, games are always a staple when everyone is home for the holidays. That is up until I start to lose and then have to quit before I get too heated. Sorry.

5. Show them you love them

Ok, this isn’t really an activity but the holidays are all about showing gratitude and appreciation the important people in your life. I personally hate talking about my feelings so I try and show it through the gifts that I give and write it out in a card. At least for my family members and close friends I like to give gifts that have some sentimental value or remind us of a fun memory together. If it’s just something I think they will like, I write a card to go with it telling them how thankful I am to have them in my life. Extra points if you make them cry!

And don’t forget to watch the Instant Family trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUfZq3DUd3Y

Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.