This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

How do you start your day? Do you have a morning routine? Have you been wanting to elevate your routine?Incorporating a morning routine is an amazing way to start the day with you time to focus on yourself and show up as your best self when you head into the day. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself. 

Not going to lie, it does take work and like most everything that is worthwhile, it takes time. As they say, good things take time. Whether you are in school, not in school, have a full-time job, or all of the above, there is no better time to start than now, and I hope these tips and sharing my experience can help inspire you.

No matter what your schedule is like, everyone has time for a morning routine and that is because there is no specific formula for a morning routine. Your morning routine is YOURS, it is there FOR YOU, to enhance your day and bring more peace and joy into your life. 

There is something so satisfying and rewarding about sticking to a routine that makes you feel so accomplished and proud of yourself. 

1.Start your morning routine the night before — might sound crazy, but hear me out, it’s really not that extreme when you break it down. Start with going to sleep at a good time. In order to feel your best for your morning routine, you want to have energy and feel rested upon waking. Getting enough shut eye sleep is the perfect place to start in setting yourself up for a successful morning. 6-8 hours of sleep is what most recommend, but factoring in what you did that day or what your next day looks like can be helpful, just listen to your body.

2. Make your bed — it takes 10 seconds. You already check one task off for the day, right when you get up. This gives you that instant feeling of “today is going to be a productive day. Look at me: I already accomplished something and am starting on a good note.”

3.A moment for you — have something that you genuinely forward to doing that makes you excited to wake up. What is something that when you think of, your mind instantly gets excited about, something that gives you stimulation, and doesn’t feel like work. Here are some ideas:

• 10 minute meditation (through YouTube and different apps!)
  • Journaling (Gratitude, mind dump, prompts, affirmations etc.)
  • Reading
  • Listen to your favorite songs
  • Stretching
  • Hot lemon water
  • Coffee Tea

If you want to take it a step further, treat yourself to some goodies that can enhance these moments. A new yoga mat for stretching, a favorite mug for your morning drink, the five minute journal for your mind dump. Check out small businesses on instagram, amazon, target. There are lots of options!

4.Movement — getting in some type of movement after waking up is so beneficial for your body and mind. Even if it is a 5 minute stretch, 15 min walk, or a 30 min workout, you will feel so great after.

5.Nourish with whole foods — last but not least, make yourself a delicious breakfast. There are tons of recipes out there so finding what works best for you is key. I believe one of the best things to include in your first meal of the day and just in general is fruit! It is so so delicious, there are so many different kinds, and so many different ways to eat them, with yogurt, blended in a smoothie, in a smoothie bowl with lots of toppings, on toast, it’s all about getting creative with what you enjoy most, what feels good, and what will fuel your body for the day. 

Amanda is a freshman at LMU and is from Pennsylvania. She's a sunloving, travel enthusiast, foodie, yogi, and loves any and all things hawaiian. Check out her Instagram @alohabyamanda for food reviews, recipes, and daily inspiration!