Wellness > Health

4 Ways to Find the Motivation to Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

“Working out more” is one of the most common New Year’s resolutions, and now that we are in February, New Year’s resolutions are starting to be dropped. The gym can be intimidating, which causes many people who want to workout to opt-out. Every “gym rat” you know has gone through the burnout phase at least once, or multiple times if you’re like me, but I’ve found ways to overcome this hurdle. Below are my tips for getting motivated to workout:

1. Go with Friends

Find a group of friends to go workout with! By scheduling a time to go together, you all are holding each other accountable. Friends can make your workout more enjoyable and feel less like a chore. Maybe go to a spin or yoga class together! You can motivate one another and make each other more comfortable amongst a bunch of people who may seem like pro-bodybuilders.

2. Find Something That You Love Doing

By finding something that you love to do, you’ll actually look forward to going. For example, don’t force yourself to run if you don’t love to run. It’ll just make you resent going to the gym. Try yoga, spin, or even swimming – try different things until you find what you love and where you feel comfortable!

two women working out
Photo by bruce mars from Pexels

3. Buy New Workout Attire

I know that not everyone has the luxury of being able to buy new workout clothes, so just wear something that makes you feel confident and empowered. Wearing a new outfit to the gym is something that motivates me the most on days when I don’t feel like going. My favorite brands are Lululemon and Fabletics, but I also buy a lot of my workout clothes from Poshmark. If you don’t feel your best, you won’t perform your best.

4. Set an Intention

As cheesy as this may sound, setting an intention and knowing why you workout could be one of the biggest motivators. Working towards a goal, whether that be to relieve stress or gain mental clarity, can excite you to go to the gym or the beach, wherever your workout may be. Keep in mind why you do what you do and what your end goal looks like!

Nikki is a senior at LMU from Honolulu, Hawai'i and is majoring in Communications Studies with minors in Journalism and Health and Society. She is also the president of Her Campus LMU.