Study Abroad in Ireland
Study Abroad in Ireland
Sara Pool

4 Tips to Choosing Your Studying Abroad Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Last semester I studied in Cork, Ireland. I was the only one from LMU who decided to go to this program – I went alone, knowing no one and having no idea what to expect. It was scary and stressful, but going to a program where I had to completely go outside of my comfort zone. I would highly recommend choosing where you want to study abroad alone and making sure you pick a program that suits you. Even if there end up being no one going with you, you will still find friends and have a great time! 

Here are some things to think about before you choose:

1. Do they have the program you are studying? 

I know many people whose dream destinations to study abroad did not have classes in their major area. This is very disheartening, but unless you take some core classes or have elective you would like to take make sure you take your major into account.

Study Abroad– the cliffs of moher, in Ireland
Sara Pool

2. Do you speak the language?

Having a language barrier is something you need to take into account. While, it is possible and can be extremely rewarding to study abroad somewhere you do not know the language, you must be aware of it. 

If you want to go to some place that does not know English as a first language, make sure you learn the basics before you go. Most people in Europe know English, but there are also many people who don’t. Do not discount a program because they speak another language, but make sure you are aware of the challenges that will pose and come prepared. 

3. What is the cost of living? 

Here is a difficult question to confront. Sadly, some of the most alluring places to study abroad is that it costs a lot of money. This may not be a problem for all, but most people do need to take the cost of the program into account. 

Make sure you weigh the numbers and options. If your goal is to travel all across Europe you might want to choose a less expensive program. However, most of your time will be spent in your chosen country, so it also might be worth living there and traveling a little less. There is no one answer but make sure you look at the numbers before you choose!

Study Abroad - University College Cork, Ireland
Sara Pool

4. How do I have a good experience? 

No one’s study abroad experience is the same, but my advice is to put yourself out there – try new things! There are so many unique adventures for you to go on so try to put yourself out there as much as you can. If something is scary, it is probably worth at least trying once. 

There is no one way to study abroad, but you find a location and program that fits you and put yourself out there, you will have an amazing time. So if you can study abroad! You will not regret it!

Hi I’m Sara Pool. I am a English and journalism double major at LMU. I love writing and blogging, especially about food! In my free time I love going to the beach and playing volleyball.
Her Campus LMU