3 Meaningful Ways to Actually Make 2020 Your Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Write down your goals.

People love to hate on New Year’s Resolutions for their fleeting and often fruitless nature, but writing down your goals can help make them more palatable and ultimately, achievable. Studies have shown that people who write down their goals and read them over consistently have a much greater likelihood of reaching them long-term. Therefore, I recommend making a list of what you would like to accomplish this year and the steps you can take to get there. It’s not too late to start!

Make career moves.

It’s time to start thinking about that summer internship! Applications have opened and are just waiting for you to fill them out. Applying to as many jobs as you can will increase your chances of landing an interview, so getting on that grind is super important – as is making sure that you’re putting individualized effort into each cover letter so that the company knows you’re serious about joining their team.

Experience life.

As important as it is to maintain your grades and work toward new goals, it’s also important to experience college life as an exciting entity. Of course you want to complete your homework and projects on time – so do that! – but afterwards, I highly suggest setting aside time on the weekends or maybe even a weeknight to go out to dinner with friends and/or hit up the beach. Spending a day at the beach is such a nice getaway – and if you have work to get done, just head out early and come back mid-afternoon. You’ll have the time, I promise. 

Sophomore Film/TV Production major and Screenwriting minor at LMU from Michigan. When not in class, watching a movie, or writing an article, can be found drinking iced coffee, playing classical guitar, trying new restaurants, or belting lyrics at a concert.