This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Too busy with essays and studying for finals? Don’t have time to make it to the gym? Here are some exercises you can do anywhere, even in your dorm room! All you need is 20 minutes!

First, it is very important to stretch in order to release the tension in your body and loosen up your muscles. This is an important step that will help you relax and prepare your body to exercise. Find a space on the floor, and I would recommend using a yoga mat if you have one to be more comfortable.

Here are some stretches:

1. Back stretch: stand straight and then fold over, reaching for your toes.

2. Neck stretches: use your hand to gently pull your neck to one side and hold and then repeat in all directions.

3. Child’s Pose: sit on your knees and then reach your arms as far as you can outward, while bending and setting your forehead on the ground, stretching your back.

4. Cat cow: get on your hands and knees and arch your back tucking your neck in to your chest. Then reverse the motion, pulling your stomach down to the ground and your head to the sky.

5. Something that can also really help is a foam roller. You can use it to loosen up your muscles, especially muscles that are sore or especially tight. I use it all the time after I’ve been sitting and studying for a long period of time.

Here are some easy exercises:

1. Push Ups: to make it easier, try doing it with your knees on the ground

2. Plank: pushup position but with your forearms on the ground instead of your hands. Keep your body flat and your abs tight.  

3. Air squats: feet are shoulder width apart. Squat straight down to ninety degrees. Make sure your knees don’t go over your toes!

4. High knees and Jumping Jacks (both done in place)

5. If you want to you can also run up and down the stairs of your dorm for good cardio.

I am a Freshman at Loyola Marymount University. I am majoring in Marketing with a minor in Graphic Design.