10 Spring Cleaning Ideas After a Year of Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It has now been over a year since the COVID-19 pandemic began. That’s a year of staying socially distant, wearing masks, and everything in between. But with the end finally in sight, we’re all looking forward to getting back to a somewhat normal life…something that happens to dovetail with spring cleaning season. So, before we all head back out into the world, here are some ideas to help you start your post-COVID life on the right foot!

Clean Your Living Space

We’ve all been trapped inside for so long that it feels like we’ve been doing anything and everything from home. With a year of build-up in and around our living spaces, cleaning and decluttering have never been more important. Washing, dusting, scrubbing, the whole shebang!

Make Your Spaces Habitable

Along with cleaning, a big part of transforming your space is making sure it’s still a place you want to be and spend time in. For most of us, our living spaces have been the sites where we’ve dealt with many of the anxieties of this last year. It may be a space that holds a mixed-bag of memories. If you’re feeling that way, change it up! Different colors, accent pieces, or just rearranging can make a space seem new and different, while also giving you a change of scenery. 

Clean Out Your Car

Finally, there’ll be places to go again! Gatherings to have! People to see! While people have been using their cars to various degrees over the last year, giving your vehicle a tune-up, shine, or deep clean will have it ready to hit the road. 

Make Sustainable Swaps

While getting back to being on the go, try incorporating some sustainable swaps into your routine. It could be anything from using a reusable water bottle and grocery bags to trying reusable dryer balls. There are endless ideas! 

Deep Clean the Fridge and Pantry

Whether it was out of stress, boredom, or something else, plenty of people turned to cooking and baking throughout the quarantine. Personally, I learned how to make some great stuff…but now I have lots of ingredients I’ll probably never touch again. Check out your refrigerators and pantries to see if you have things you know you won’t eat or use. Either toss the stuff or – if it’s in the right condition – donate it! 

Declutter the Closet

“Work From Home” has become its own style entirely and has provided a new twist on the debate of  ‘style or comfort.’ Since we’ll soon have to dress our whole bodies again (instead of just what can be seen on the Zoom screen), reevaluate items in your closet to see if they’re things you really enjoy wearing. 

Clean Your Accessories

Whether it’s your makeup drawer, jewelry box, or hat collection, accessories haven’t been getting the most love over the last year. Declutter what you don’t want and clean what you do so they’re ready for the year ahead. And don’t forget to wash your mask! 

Social Media Detox

Whether it’s deleting the apps completely, avoiding the Explore page, or cleaning out your following list, everyone has their own way they like to take a breather from social media. Whatever that is for you, take the time away from the screen to take full advantage of the world that’s opening up. 

Walking and Meditation

As much as physical cleaning can be an important part of new beginnings, so is mental cleaning. Walking and meditation are great ways to clear the mind and focus on the thoughts that really matter. 

Journaling

After the year we’ve had, the idea of getting back into the swing of regular life might seem daunting at times (I sometimes get uncomfortable watching old videos of large crowds of people together without masks on, for example). Journaling can be a great exercise in putting some of those personal anxieties on a page and getting them from inside your head out into the world. 

My name is Sophie, I'm from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and I'm a Junior English Major here at LMU!
Rylie Walsh is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University, where she earned her degree in Communication Studies and English! She was President of Her Campus LMU for the 2021-22 school year and is also a Her Campus National Writer. When she's not reading, writing, or working, you can find her hanging out with friends, SoulCycling, or enjoying her all time favorite dessert: a Pressed freeze.