The Ultimate Guide To Dealing with Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Everything in life is ever-evolving. Nothing we see, know, live, feel is constant, except change itself. What the irony!? We go through myriad changes through various stages of our lives, some good and some bad. We accept the positive changes in our lives and mostly sulk over the negative ones. 

Whether it’s moving, breaking a relationship, having to change careers, etc., change pushes us out of our comfort zone. Follow along for ways you can deal with change without, hopefully, end up with stress lines on your face.

1. Realize that it’s happening

Ignorance can be a bliss, but it isn’t fruitful. One need’s to be aware of the changes that are inevitable. This is the first step towards coping with the new challenges. 

2. Figure out what’s in your control

Trying to figure out how much of the things that are changing are in your control help you gain perspective.

3. Work on what’s in your control

Once you know the things that are in your control, you can mold them according to your comfort. For instance, if moving far from home has been hard for you, you can try and do things that remind you of home. Bring some stuff with you that will always keep you cozy and comfortable, or cook the food that your mom made for you and try and make your new place a home.

4. Learn to accept and let go of what’s not in your control​

There will always be things are out of your control. Take comfort in the fact that all times will pass, good and bad. A new day will bring new sunshine. Accept the loss of old times and try not to dwell on the past, because time never comes back and you will only be putting yourself through unnecessary pain. 

5. Discover ways to deal with stress 

When new challenges stress you out, find distractions. Pick up that book you’ve always wanted to read. Take that trip you had never seemed to have the time for. Find a hobby. Exercise! Let that rush of adrenaline give you a sense of accomplishment. 

6. Count your blessings

Try and take a positive approach towards this new challenge. Yes, some things changed but there must be a reason for it. If you lost a relationship, take this opportunity to find yourself and pamper yourself. If you moved, go out and explore your new area and make new friends. Make new memories. 

7. Take it slow​

Follow all these steps, but know that it will take time for you to accept, heal, and move on. Don’t be too hard on yourself. 

8. Seek support​

Talk to a friend or family member who you can trust. They may not always be able to help you but they will listen and give you a shoulder to cry on if you need it. The more you talk and get it out of your system, the easier it will be to get over it.

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.