danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Master Plan Setback & Advice for When it Happens to You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Ever since I was young,  I’ve always had a plan. …but what happens if there’s a change? I’m not talking something minor. I’m talking about a life altering event that causes you to reevaluate everything about your life and even your purpose. A bit dramatic, I know, but when you experience something like this it feels just as dramatic as I described it to be.

I grew up in a very loving and supportive family, one which I am thankful for. My father is a well-accomplished professional in the medical field. He has acted as a role model for me for the longest time, which led me to think that I wanted to be a doctor. Fast forward to college, and I realize that science is not exactly my strong suit, however now I’m in the predicament where my decisions reflect my future because changing my major meant delaying graduation. I didn’t even know what I was interested in. I switched to psychology because it meant less math and science classes and it only delayed my graduation by a semester. I could deal with that.

I researched careers and applied for so many entry level jobs, but saw no interest in the application progression. I knew I did not share any interests that these applicants had, however, I convinced myself that I just needed to continue my education in social work. I was right about one thing. I did have to go back to school, but I was studying for the wrong degree.

It didn’t hit me until I began to struggle. And for most of us, that’s when we begin to realize where we went wrong. I didn’t want to complete my assignments, and going to class became a chore. Going to class during undergrad was a chore, so isn’t it just a school thing? No. Graduate education should be something that you want, and I didn’t want social work. Problem is, I didn’t know what I wanted, and it made me VERY unhappy. I had this plan and had figured out my life, and now it made absolutely no sense. I only knew one thing: I have been working in retail since I was 18 and was 24 at the time. It was all I knew.

I was working at Bloomingdales then and I loved my job. I saw myself growing with the company, but questioned if that would that even be considered a career? It sounds silly to ask such a question, but it’s true, I didn’t know. I did my research and found out that I can work towards a career in the fashion business. So, I did it. I found LIM College, and working towards my career, while challenging at times, has been no less than a blissful experience.

Finding your chosen career can be really difficult, but it’s important because you’re going to be doing this for the REST of your life. I don’t know about you, but if I’m working in a profession that I could care less about, I know I won’t be able to be the best I can be. It’s important to reevaluate if you’re unhappy. Even if you have a degree and worked in the industry for a countless number of years, it’s never too late to change your career. With passion and determination, anything is possible, as cliché as it sounds. Loving what you do is important. No matter what it is. So, if your master plan isn’t working out for you, then it’s not a master plan. Start from square one.

This is my story, and I’m only getting started. I’m nowhere where I want to be, but I know I’m on the right path. If there is anything at all that you should remember, it’s that if you’re feeling a bit off, don’t worry! Your feelings are normal and you are not alone! Take these feelings and turn them into action. Your new master plan is on its way!

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.