Meet Japneet Vij

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Name: Japneet Vij

Class Year: 2016-2017

Hometown: Maharashtra, India

Major: Fashion Merchandising and Retail management

Job/Internship: Events and Marketing intern at Harper’s Bazaar

Extracurricular Activities:  It has been six months since I came to NYC still it has new things to offer every day. I love to roam around and explore the city, make random friends, taking part in all the possible college activities, and volunteering for different events.

Why did you choose LIM to complete your graduate degree?

After I completed my first masters, MBA in Marketing, then I wanted to do something in fashion, but the business side of it. I did a lot of research and found out about LIM. I contacted alumni of the college to get information about it and finally decided that LIM College meets all my requirements. The internships they offer excited me and I made it a point to make full use of it. At the end, I thought there is no better place to study fashion other than NYC. So here I am and I am glad I made this decision. 

You’re from India, what was it like to move across the world to attend school in New York City?

The shift from India to the USA has been amazing. Initially, I faced problems due to the change in lifestyle, cultural change and staying away from the family. However, when I used to walk on the streets of NYC it just made me happy. It has just been six months but I am in love with this city and to the person, it has made me. I think it is once in the lifetime experience and the best decision I have ever made!

You have had some amazing internships within the magazine industry! Can you tell us how you landed these opportunities and your experiences at both Cosmopolitan and Harper’s Bazaar?

I was lucky enough to get internships with such huge names. Cosmopolitan was an unexpected one as I just had 10 days to find an internship and had given up all hope but on my birthday, I got a call saying that I had been selected. It was the best birthday gift ever. For my second internship, I interviewed from India and again, I had no hope of getting an internship just through a phone interview. However, the day I was flying back to the USA I got an internship at Harper’s. Both came suddenly to me but I am glad I got the opportunity to intern with such great magazines!

Do you have any advice for prospective students?

I would say that just be confident and have your goals clear in front of you. If you are focused this college and city will make you achieve them. Just aim and go for it.

What’s next for you?

Now I am in search for my third internship and hoping to get a good job in the industry after my graduation. I love this city and would love to spend some more years here! 

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.