This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

People, it is finally that time of the year. Spring may have sprung, but before you know it, summer is coming! I for one, am so excited to bask in and enjoy the sunshine in New York. With the upcoming weather change, your wardrobe will need updating, and I expect a few other changes ahead as well. Besides that inevitable tuning of the loud and ancient air conditioner you have in your room, it’s also crucial that you opt out your winter makeup products and routine.

Some of you may already know this but with the heat, may come humidity, and that always leads to bacteria. Not to mention the already existing dirt, dust, and all the environmentally unfriendly gasses from car exhausts. Plus, not only will your skin be as dry as it would be in the cold months of winter, but it will also require lighter formulas that will not clog your pores or prevent your skin from breathing. Here are some tips and tricks on how to still wear makeup as you like, without harming your beautifully bare skin for the summer time:

For all the beauty lovers out there who wear a full face of makeup once in a while (or all the time), it’s time to opt out for something less full coverage. I personally prefer sheer to medium coverage so I’m already quite keen on switching my entire collection to this but for the summer, I highly recommend using tinted moisturizers. If this doesn’t do the trick for some of you, try a BB+ or CC+ cream from the brand of your choice. I’m currently using the Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 in St. Moritz ($30) and Collection Cosmetics Bright & Glow Brightening BB Cream in Medium-Dark. Unfortunately, this product is no longer available on their e-commerce and isn’t available to customers in the US yet.

During the cold winter season, some people will have unbearably dry skin where cream products like blushes will not adhere. However, it is time to rejoice because the heat is back to prime your skin to opt for cream blushes. Cream blushes are actually super versatile and you can easily find many products that are for both lips and cheeks! I’m currently using Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Lips & Cheeks in Pale Pink and Powder Pink ($30). In my collection, I also have the Be a Bombshell Cosmetics the One Stick in Sweetness ($7), which is a light pink hue.

As for any eye makeup products like eyeliners and mascaras, I also recommend selecting waterproof products to battle any smudges you may come across with sweating. For mascara, I’ve been dying to get my hands on Too Faced Cosmetics Better than Sex Waterproof mascara ($23). Now, I personally do not like a gloss of any kind – be it for lips or eyes. A lot of people would alternate to lip gloss for the summer for aesthetic reasons, however, I will stick to my lipsticks and lip balms no matter the time of the year. Another common change that I see a lot in transition to the summer is opting for lighter nail colors suitable for sunny days.

Overall, this is completly up to you! But if you continue to stick with heavy formulas during the summer season, you need to be prepared to thoroughly cleanse your face and décolletage with the appropriate summer skincare routine for you. You wouldn’t want any breakouts days before your crush’s barbeque/pool party, now would you?

Beauty & skin care enthusiast, and training MUA on the side. From Bangkok, Thailand and based in Manhattan, New York. I am an international globetrotter with a profound passion for gastronomy and the film industry. Born in Thailand, grew up in Belgium, I have an immense curiosity for learning different languages.  Please don't be shy and find me on my social media platforms at @graceactually and don't forget to visit my beauty channel on YouTube!
Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.