5 Struggles Every Fashion Student Has Back Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Whether you’ve moved to the city to attend LIM College from a small town or not, every fashion student experience awkward moments with their friends back home. For many of us, we attend a very diverse high school where you meet people with different perspectives and career aspirations. Once moving to the city, don’t you ever look back and analyze the group of friends you had a year or two ago? Maybe one of your friends were into nursing, engineering, law- you name it. Did you ever stop and think what brought your friendship together? Not saying those friendships were broken or one-sided, because my friends from back home are wonderful individuals but there were times where I only understood myself. You probably have too. 

1. Shopping Till You Drop

Ever have a friend tell you “you shop too much”? First of all, there is no such thing as “too much shopping”. Well, besides my broken pockets telling me to stop shopping but regardless, not cool. Do they not know the excitement of buying new clothes you can wear the next day? Obviously not but it’s ok, that’s why they have friends like us, who understand the concept of shopping.

2. Always Being “Overdressed”

Oh man, if I had a $1 for every time my friends told me I was overdressed for our hangouts, I would of been rich by now. I remember this one time I went to the mall and when I got there, I immediately got the “where are you going? It’s just the mall.” I glance at myself wondering what made me look too dressy for the mall but I couldn’t find it. Oh well, I looked cute that day and that is all that matters anyways, right? Now, I just do not care if I am overdressed or not when I hang out with them because at the end of the day, I am dressed the way I am. Not them.

3. New York Fashion Week

Come September you are getting ready for fashion week, and embracing the week yourself by wearing the most raddest outfits you usually would not wear on a daily basis. So, there you are all excited about fashion week and what’s to come, but sad at the same time because you do not have that one friend that would sit down and watch the live streams with you. Instead, you are are watching it by yourself at home or nearest cafe for their wifi, smiling at the screen like a creep, and embracing fashion week. Oh, those were lonely days before I went to fashion school and met my friends. 

4. Fashion School is “Easy”

Ever experience a time when your friends are surprised about how broad fashion is and the amount of work there actually is to be successful in the industry? When people think about a fashion student, they automatically assume they want to be a designer. Not uh honey. Whenever you go back home and have a coffee date with your friends to catch up, do you find it hard to stop talking about what you learn and the exciting facts you learn about the industry? Then your friends are looking at you like “when is this girl going to shut up already”? Or, they look at you crazy when you tell them you are stressed about school because they think all you learn is about designers and how to design clothes. 

5. Bringing The New York Style To Your Hometown

“Wow, you look like such a New Yorker” Ever heard of that saying? I don’t understand this concept because don’t you feel like you look the same? I mean yeah, we change within a year and everything but I don’t have NY written over my forehead. Then, whenever you go,people look at you differently as if you are an alien. Dude, I am simply embracing styles that this hometown does not seem to enjoy.

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.