sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Tips For Using Dating Apps Safely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Through the innovation of technology, there is now a variety of options when it comes to dating online. With social media being a new necessity for people worldwide, the idea of dating apps doesn’t seem too far-fetched. However, it is still important to take precautionary steps in order to maintain your safety while using these apps. Here are three simple ways you can safely connect with someone while using Tinder, Bumble, or any other dating platform.

Tip #1. Location & Age

When selecting a specific mileage to choose your dating pool, it is quite exciting to explore locations far from those in your circle. By keeping your mileage at a maximum of 20 miles radius, you can search an ample amount of people in your city’s range. The nice part about these apps is that the location is based on current location so your list of options is almost always everchanging. The next step is selecting an age pool to choose from. By keeping the age at a maximum and minimum of 1-5 years based on your own age you can eliminate the chance of you meeting someone the same age as your parents, or worse, as your teenage sibling.

Tip #2. Background Check

You’ve found a match! Now that you’ve found someone of interest it won’t be long before you two start to communicate. Before sharing too much of your personal information make sure to conduct a mini background search. Maybe check out their social media page or check for any mutual friends. Doing this search will allow you to dodge a catfish and ensure you are talking to the right person.

Tip #3. Tell A Friend

Now that you’ve met someone and made a connection, the final step is always the first meeting. Make sure that you meet somewhere public like a coffee shop, restaurant, or shopping mall. Once you and your date have set a location to meet, make sure you tell at least one friend. Sharing your location with a friend before going on the first date ensures your safety if something is to go wrong.

Casey Miller is a graduate student studying Fashion Marketing at LIM College. While living New York City she has interned for two national magazines as well as womenswear designer Christian Siriano. She also runs her own blog and is a digital influencer for Cosmopolitan Magazine's Social Patrol. For all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle check out her blog www.frombeginningtotrend.com.