What Are You Doing For Lent?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

It feels like Christmas was just yesterday, and now Lent is upon us! Lent is a religious season celebrated by Christians between Ash Wednesday (March 5th this year) and Easter! For 40 days and 40 nights, Christians traditionally give up something they enjoy, or do something to better themselves in order to prepare for Easter.  For those of you who don’t celebrate, it’s similar to a New Years Resolution!  You don’t need to be Christian to enjoy in the Lenten tradition, it could just be a good excuse to make some positive change in your life! Check out my ideas for what you can do during Lent this year!

1. Giving Up Sweets

An oldie but a goodie! This could be a great time to jumpstart your healthy eating and break your sugar addiction.  I mean, we don’t NEED a piece of Rathbone cake after dinner, do we? Plus, imagine how much better Cadbury Cream Eggs taste after 40 days without a lick of sugar on your taste buds!

2. Kick social media to the Curb!

It’s no secret that our generation is glued to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., so a little detox from social media could do us some good! Not sure you’re committed to quitting cold turkey? Pledge to only go on social media on your computer.  I find that I use my mobile social media apps way more than on my computer, so delete those apps and do it in moderation!

3. Volunteer

Like I said, Lent isn’t only about giving things up! Volunteering more is a great pledge to make for Lent.  Only commit to what you have time for with all of these ideas, like volunteering once a week! With the Community Service Office, it is easy to get volunteering within the Lehigh community or the greater Bethlehem area! The CSO has “Feel Good Fridays” where a number of volunteers go to different organizations or events every Friday night to volunteer, so sign up with some friends and make a night of it! Email inserve@lehigh.edu

4. Say Good-Bye to Sugary Beverages

Did you know 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated? Not only does this idea kick some of those empty calories we consume everyday, but it will lead you to drink more water! Drinking more water increases organ function, prevents premature aging, improves our body’s nutrient absorption, and much more! This is an easy habit to work in everyday because its simply a switch in the dining hall!

5. No more morning coffee (or mid-morning coffee, or afternoon coffee…)

I feel your pain on those 8AMs, but if you need coffee to get going every morning, think about giving it up! Not only does this save you some cash (although we love showing our patronage to the local Starbucks and Dunkin), but it forces you to find new, healthier morning rituals.  Apparently an apple has just as much caffeine as a cup of coffee… let me know if this actually works for you!

6. Late-night Eating

Ladies, just because Hawk’s Nest is open at 1am, doesn’t mean you have to go there… and the same philosophy applies to frat’s kitchens.  We are women; we can live without Feel-Good Fries for 40 days!

7. Rekindle a friendship!

A typical New Year’s Resolution is to make new friends over the next year, but let’s turn that on its head and try to keep those friendships strong! Whether its childhood friends from camp or classmates from high school you haven’t talked to since Graduation, make a pledge to reach out to someone every week!  A simple FB inbox will take you less than five minutes, and can rekindle the friendship flame!

8. Inspiration Wall

Not gonna lie, I got this idea from Pinterest (aka my version of HEAVEN).  I love coming across inspiring or interesting quotes, so pledging to display them or add a new quote everyday is right up my alley.  I know it may sound kind of corny, but when you’re having the worst day ever and come back to your dorm to find a big wall of pick-me-ups, you’ll thank yourself! It can be as easy as writing quotes down on sticky notes and putting them on your mirror, but it is a great self-love habit to practice!

So ladies, let’s start making ourselves a little bit better for the next 40 days during Lent! Remember, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger (There you go, first quote on your inspiration wall!) xoxo

Photo Source:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2012/10/study-checking-your-social…

http://www.zinzangrocery.com/category/drinks-and-beverages

http://www.komu.com/news/jc-business-open-late-have-new-regulations/

http://www.readers.com/blog/2012/02/friday-inspirations-quote/

Lauren Maida

Lehigh '17

Sophomore, Lehigh University