There’s An App For That!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

We all know that every Collegiate is on her smartphone 24/7. I mean, how else would we be able to sustain our daily Lehigh lookaways?  Obviously we all have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., but here are some of my favorite apps that have received less attention.  They are app-solutely necessary for an easy breezy collegiate lifestyle!  

Dropbox – Dropbox is my lifesaver when it comes to getting items from your computer to your phone or another computer!  We are in the 21st century ladies, we have put man on the moon, and we should not be burdened by sending emails to ourselves with just pictures or word documents attached inside!  Dropbox allows you to upload multiple photos and documents to share with others or to transport from your different devices.  When was the last time you actually used the full $75 allotted in your Lehigh login for printing? With Dropbox, it’s easy to print from any computer on campus. 

Google Now– Leave it to Google to make such a personalized app to you and your lifestyle that it’s borderline unsettling. Some features include tracking packages, extensive weather alerts of your location, and real-time reports on multiple sports games at once (including Lehigh sports, Lady Hawks!).  Google Now can also remind you of tasks and events when you reach a location or at a certain time.  Also, Google Now can identify your location before heading to your destination, estimate driving time, and give you other directions to beat the traffic! Hopefully less Rt. 78 traffic on the way home for breaks, my fellow New Jerseyians ;) Get this app by downloading the Google app, signing in to your account, and swiping up to use Google Now.

CNN – To be honest, I don’t exactly check this app daily, but I think it is definitely worth downloading for the alerts feature.  From international political conflict to major US report releases, natural disasters or tragic civilian events (c’mon, when was the last time you saw a happy breaking news story?) CNN’s app informs you quickly using a short blurb notification with full stories available.   I would suggest hiding this app in your utilities folder, as to not take up space on your home screen, but still receiving breaking news alerts.

Sworkit – Sworkit is my ultimate fitness buddy when I hit the gym.  Sworkit provides you with an endless amount of circuit training videos/instruction, including abs, arm, and leg workouts, with a countdown for each exercise. There are yoga instructions, and stretches for warm up and cool downs.  Sworkit also allows you to create your own personalized workout plans based on what you want to focus on. Best of all, Sworkit synchs your completed workouts with MyFitnessPal for a total healthy lifestyle.  You never want to be caught in Taylor without this app!

MyFitnessPal – MyFitnessPal is the best app I have found for nutrition and exercise logging.  Nutrition logging can be especially difficult, but MyFitnessPal allows you to add recipes, add foods with nutrition facts, and has a huge list of restaurant and brand name foods to choose from (ATTENTION: SODEXO MEALS ARE LOGGED FOR YOU! Hit up Lower, Upper, or Bone without fear of breaking the caloric bank!).  You can personalize your MyFitnessPal account to a target weight and time frame, and it generates a total calorie count in order to hit that target!  Unlike most other nutrition apps, MyFitnessPal also tracks your water intake. These apps together are like the Chuck and Blaire of the nutrition world, a match made in healthy heaven!   

RunPee – Okay, so maybe this app is not the most necessary app, but it is pretty cool if you’re a big movie buff.   Basically this app knows the best times for you to make a bathroom run, hence the name, during a movie in the theater without missing any important plot advancements.  It also provides a synopsis of what you missed on your pee break.  If you’re running late to the theaters, it provides a synopsis of the first five minutes of the movie.   Best of all, you can turn on vibration alerts, so you don’t need to check your phone every five minutes to see when the break is.  Lights, camera, action!

Remember that if there is a specific page you use often on your iPhone, simply access it on your iPhone browser, and select ‘Add to Home Screen’.  Voila, your own personal app icon! Now get going, those apps aren’t going to download themselves, my Collegiates! Xoxo 

Lauren Maida

Lehigh '17

Sophomore, Lehigh University