Catherine Wright: President of Women in Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Name: Catherine Wright 

Grad Year: 2015

Major: Finance

Position on Women in Business Exec: President

How did you get involved with Women in Business?

I first started getting involved with the Women in Business club during my junior year. I went to a WiB event with Jim Adamson, the former CEO of Burger King and Kmart, where he discussed the importance of diversity in the workplace. Afterwards, we were able to network with him. I left the meeting feeling incredibly empowered. I regret not joining the club sooner!

What types of events does Women in Business hold?

All in all, our purpose is to help our members work on their personal and professional development. With that mission, we hold events that target all grade years and range from social activities to professional events. 

For instance, in the fall we held a panel event called Majors and Mocktails. We asked a senior from each business major to sit on a panel and discuss the highs and lows of their major. This event specifically targeted first and second year students and ultimately tried to help them decide which major they should pick for themselves. More so, we host corporations who are looking to hire for both internships and full-time positions. Recently, we co-hosted JP Morgan with the Finance Club and EY with the Society of Women Engineers because they are recruiting for full time employees.

It is also important to remember to have fun with your club! With that, we have been working on incorporating more social events into our calendar. The other week we had a meet and greet at my off campus house with hors d’oeuvres.

What has been your favorite event that Women in Business has held?

Wow- that is a hard question because all the events have been spectacular! If I had to choose one, I would say that I really enjoyed the Lunch and Learn event with Regina Lewis. Ms. Lewis is a USA TODAY Contributor and covers economic headlines on MSNBC during the weekends. Additionally, she helps celebrities, athletes and high powered executives re-brand themselves. At the event, she shared a few tips and tricks on how to successfully brand oneself. 

Can guys go to your events?

Of course!! We encourage all male students to attend each and every Women in Business event. If you’re a male, and reading this, don’t be shy. You definitely will not be the first guy to ever attend an event. We have had plenty in the past! 

Also, girls, invite your male friends to the events! 

Tell me a little bit about your upcoming conference and how to register for it.

The Women in Business Conference will be the first of its kind on Lehigh’s campus. It is a distinguished opportunity for Lehigh students, faculty and alumni to engage in personal and professional development through a value added speaker series. The series will inspire individuals and promote awareness of important issues facing leaders. It will give business students an opportunity to grow and develop the confidence to make an impacting difference in their professional field. 

Lehigh alumni are extremely excited about the event. A few of the names attending are Tara Stacom, Vice Chairman Cushman & Wakefield; John Chrin, former Co-Head Mergers & Acquisitions JP Morgan Chase & Co; Ellen Stone, Executive VP of Marketing Bravo and Oxygen Media and Kim Rogoff, Chief Financial Officer Coach. 

In the next week or two, an invitation will be sent to the business school student body. That invitation will provide each student with a unique registration link where they can apply to attend. 

How can someone join the Women in Business Club?

Two ways: email lehighwib@gmail.com and say that you are interested in joining the club and/or attend any of our events and get your name on the sign-in sheet.

For more information follow us on social media: facebook.com/LehighWIB