This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

As we approach International Women’s Day 2020, I’ve been reflecting on all the women who influence my life. I hope everyone has a few inspiring women in their lives, and that this article will encourage you to recognise and appreciate them!

I thought I would compile a list of my female role models. Some you may recognise, others you probably won’t as I know I have a few rather niche interests. In case you don’t know any of these women but would like to learn more about them, I’ve included their Instagram handles wherever possible. Although this article is a bit of a cringe-fest of my admiration, I hope you enjoy it!

Kayla Bacon-Friends Sitting On Road
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

Lara Parker

Lara is someone I came across by chance on my Instagram discovery page, but she has become someone I look to whenever I feel I need encouragement. As someone who has endometriosis, having another person there to remind me that even on my bad pain days, I am strong enough, I am brave enough and my body is still worthy of love, is super important to me. She openly shares her own health journey, both physical and mental, and I believe she is a true champion for women who aren’t always having the easiest of times but continue to persevere and achieve their goals.

Also, if you are looking to follow more sex positive influencers, she is definitely one to check out!

My lovely friend, Tali Silas

This girl really has it all. Not only is she one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met, but her accomplishments are inspiring for someone so young. At 21, she is already a qualified personal trainer, two years into her degree in International Relations, a volunteer for multiple charities, bilingual, and so much more. But even with so much going on in her life, she always has time for the people she cares about and will do absolutely anything to help those in need. I think that we could all try to be a little bit more like her, especially as one of her special talents is always checking on her friends just when they need her most.

Dr Lisa Thorley

Lisa is my personal tutor at Uni, and I really cannot emphasise enough how great she is. From whether I need a good talking to about underestimating myself, or a reminder that taking a break is allowed even if the world seems to be telling you to push yourself to breaking point. This woman is an absolute northern powerhouse, doing her very best to get students like me to have more self-belief and know that they are as deserving of their place at university as anyone else, even if they aren’t the ‘typical student’. She will always be in your corner if you need her. Lisa is also working to improve the development sector one project at a time, particularly through causes which relate to women’s health, HIV and poverty reduction. As an International Development student interested in exactly those issues, I couldn’t ask for a better tutor. Also, she’ll most likely never see this, so I’m not being a tutor’s pet, she’s just a legend!

My Auntie, Gemma

Not only is she more like a sister to me and always around to cheer me up, Gemma is a constant reminder of working to live (and most importantly, enjoy yourself) rather than living to work. With one of the most beautiful children on the planet, my lovely Eliza Melody, and another undoubtedly just as cute little girl on the way, she is always kind, and about 99% of the time, full to the brim with joy. Even on a bad day, she can still find things to smile and laugh about. I think everyone needs a Gemma in their lives, and I’m going to try my best to be that person for everyone I know.

The Late and Great: Jo Cox and Sue Lloyd-Roberts

I’ve paired these two together as they have something wonderful in common. Although they are sadly no longer with us, they dedicated their lives to giving a voice to the people who are often left unheard. They also worked to challenge injustice, Jo in politics and through her work for various charities, Sue through journalism and raising awareness of the difficulties faced by women across the world.

Jo Cox was an MP for Batley and Spen, Yorkshire, but before this she worked for Oxfam and campaigned on international issues such as the conflict in Syria, human rights, and women’s issues worldwide. She was tragically killed by a far-right extremist in 2016 but her legacy and compassion live on through the Jo Cox Foundation, her book ‘More in Common’ (a MUST READ), and the Jo Cox Studentship in Refugee and Migration Studies at Pembroke College, Cambridge. She is so influential that her phrase, ‘more in common’ was used by the President of the European Parliament to end his Withdrawal (for Brexit) address to highlight the need for unity.

Sue Lloyd-Roberts was a multi award-winning journalist with an unrivaled passion for gender, race and class-based equality. Her book, ‘The War on Women: And the Brave Ones Who Fight Back’ is also a must read for anyone with an interest in the issues women face across the world – be warned, though, as it does contain sensitive issues some may find upsetting. She helped bring attention to many of the issues that women face but were often ignored by or unknown to the general public. Her reporting helped bring about change and showed that so much more must be done. I can’t promise that I’ll ever be as brave as her with my work, but she is an encouragement to keep going, and to stand up for what I believe in.

To finish here are a few honourable mentions!

• All of the women in my family who persevere to do their best in life despite facing many challenges along the way.
  • Lucy Jane Wood, who represents not only my hometown, but mid-sized women in the best possible way.
  • Kris Hallenga, who created CoppaFeel, and is simply just wonderful.
  • Rosie Ramsey, who has the funniest podcast I have ever heard, in which she is totally HONEST about life as a woman, a parent and a wife.
  • Katherine Ryan for simply telling it how it is.
  • Camilla Thurlow, who is not just a Love Island contestant, but formerly worked in explosive ordinance disposal and is passionate in all of her charity work and being a strong woman in such a male-dominated world.
  • Shell, who is so gentle and lovely, living sustainably as one of the best female creatives I’ve ever known.

Words by Amy Randles.

Edited by Sarah Goswami.

International development student Lover of all things northern, feminist and leaf print