neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Why I Made a Vision Board 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

It’s the new year and one thing everyone loves about the New Year is the chance to start over and make new and improved lifestyle choices. New Year Resolutions. Resolutions can vary from anything such as going to the gym more often to practicing mindfulness and meditation for 5 – 10 minutes every day. New Year’s Resolutions help us achieve our goals, and vision boards help us visualizethem.

Like everyone, I too, set up some goals for myself that I would like to achieve every new year, but this year I decided to go one step further and do something I’d never given much thought to – I decided to make a vision board, and here’s exactly why I did it.

Vision boards help you envision your goals in a more substantial format, and cause you to believe that your goals are more easily achievable because you can picture them in front of you. While you may have made a resolution to work harder, maybe a picture of good grades or an industry placement might help you stay more focused because you can see the end result of all the hard work that you are putting in. Vision boards are like the law of attraction, as constant visualization helps you attract good vibes which puts energy out into the universe and makes it easier for you to achieve your goals! Also, vision boards help in giving definition to your wildest dreams proving they are achievable and the steps you can take to get there.

Secondly, I made a vision board because the entire process of coming up with short term and long term goals forced me to focus on myself and made me tackle the questions regarding what I want to achieve in the next few years. I have 9 sections that achieve separate goals, but all of them are something I want to achieve in the future.

Lastly, I only realised one of the greatest benefits of a vision board AFTER I made it. Seeing the vision board daily and constantly got me excited and empowered. Seeing visual representations of some of the goals I would like to achieve got me energised and motivated to constantly work and focus towards making these pictures and sketches a true reality.

If I have inspired you to make your vision board for 2019, here are some of my personal tips for starting one.

[Image: Pinterest]

1. Think of short term AND long term goals. While putting goals which you would like to achieve by the end of 2019 are great, you should also think about where you see your resolutions taking you in the next 5 years AND within the next few months. Could your resolution to work harder mean that you might take up a Masters degree 5 years from now? Or could your decision to meditate for 5 minutes a day inspire you to join the Yoga Society in second semester?

2. Make it yours. Design and structure your vision board however you like it. Don’t feel pressured by thinking there is only one way to design a vision board, choose a layout and presentation style that you feel will work best for you. A new age tip: a vision board doesn’t need to be a physical board, you can make one as a screensaver for your phone or computer. You could maybe make it on your computer and set it as a desktop picture.

3. Try to see your vision board at least once a day. A daily reminder of your goals helps you keep your focus and helps you stay motivated consistently.

I hope you all decide to make some vision boards and get set on conquering your resolutions and achieving your goals.

International Business and Marketing student at the University of Leeds. My interests include food, travel, great TV shows, and keeping up with the latest trends in fashion and beauty. If you're interested in my favorite food finds from around the world, follow me on @thehungrytourist on Instagram.